Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Pro errors after malware

• Please log in to reply

katheryn65

katheryn65

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi,

I just came from the malware forums after getting help cleaning up my daughters computer.

http://www.geekstogo...91#entry1547991

The issues i am now seeing are as follows

1)When the system boots, it prompts you to choose which to boot to, either Win xp Pro or System Recovery.

2)Prior to getting to the desktop on a boot, a user/password logon shows up, just pressing enter with no info loads the desktop.

3)During all the malware/virus issues, i was able to connect to the internet via wireless connection, now i have to have an ethernet cord to the network.

4)Even with the ethernet up and running, microsoft updates scan the computer, give me the custom or express option and then the following error

[Error number: 0x800A0046]
Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then click Custom Level.
In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x800A0046) yourself.

i have followed the steps above and nothing has helped, i have also checked all modem/wireless drivers, there are no updates for them, and they are all enabled.

5) The bottom right of the task bar is showing the yellow shield that updates are ready, as soon as i click on it, it disappears and then returns and does the same thing. If i shut down, it shows the option to install updates and then shut down, i choose that option and it appears that they are being installed, but the taskbar shield and shutdown option have yet to go away.

i think that is about everything, any help or advice that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
kathy

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

1)When the system boots, it prompts you to choose which to boot to, either Win xp Pro or System Recovery.
you will have to change the boot.ini file and remove the recovery console option ...or you can set the amount of time it takes before loading xp...(like 3 seconds )

2)Prior to getting to the desktop on a boot, a user/password logon shows up, just pressing enter with no info loads the desktop.
you will have to go to the user accounts in the control panel and set the way users log on to whatever you want...like select a account to log onto and use a password

4)Even with the ethernet up and running, microsoft updates scan the computer, give me the custom or express option and then the following error

try this...go here and follow MS's instructions
nojoy...
try Dial-a-fix ...its an advanced utility for 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows written by DjLizard that repairs various Windows problems, such as: Windows Update errors and problems with Automatic Updates...
read about it and get it here...you will have to scroll a looong way down to find the download

Edited by happyrock, 07 June 2009 - 07:38 AM.

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi,

Okay i tried the dial a fix, and so far what it did fix was the internet connection, so i can now connect to the internet with wireless and without the ethernet cable.

Microsoft update is still giving me the same error, and i followed their guide for fixing the problem as well, and nothing has helped.

So # 3 of my original post is now taken care of, the rest remain. I know you said to change the boot ini, but i am unfamilar as to how to do that.

thanks
kathy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

Now you can repeat the steps to get back to step Number 4
I will reply with the Fix to do. Once the fix has been applied then Save and Close the file.
Reboot and let me know if this takes care of your problem

Below you will see a sample of a Windows Professional boot.ini file. Yours will look the same except it may say Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Sample Boot.ini File

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Here you go...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Here you go...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Did you save the file as the instructions said earlier? If so then do the following.
* The highlighted line needs to be taken out.
* Click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save
* Reboot and the booting issue should be resolved now

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 June 2009 - 02:31 PM.

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yes, i did save the boot file....then i did what you last wrote and re booted and it booted without that issue....so, now Problems 1 & 3 are solved.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

Now to see if we can fix the login issue.

• Go to Start and then Control Panel
• Now click on User Accounts
* Change the way users log on or off.

• You will now see a window that has two options:
1) Use the Welcome screen. This option allows users to simply click on their name to log on
2) Use Fast User Switching. This option let’s you switch to another account without closing any of your programs first

Chose the options you want by clicking the option button to the left of it. Then click Apply Changes
Reboot and the changes will be affective.
Please let me know if this has explained everything for you.

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay,

i tried to do as you wrote. A pop up came up and it says the following "Client services for netware has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore these features you must uninstall client services"

i have no idea what "client services"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the next steps and let me know if this resolves the problem:

1: Go to Start and then to Control Panel
2: Open Network Connections and Right click on Lan
3: Click on Properties
4: Where it says Connection Uses The Following click on Client Services for Netware
5: Now click on Unistall

Click Apply and\or OK
You may be prompted to reboot, please do so. If not please reboot the system.
Once back in Windows repeat the steps in post #8 and let me know if this fixes the problem. :)

Advertisements

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay, did that and all went well......now issues 1, 2, 3 are taken care of.....pretty much the only issue left is not being able to get the microsoft updates. It scans the computer and then gives me the option of custon or express, doesnt matter which one i choose and it gives me the same error.....

The Yello updates are ready for your computer, click here still comes and goes from the task bar, and everytime i go to shut down or reboot there is an option for install updates and then shut down, if i choose that it seems like it is installing them, but that option never goes away...??

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay,

i just went to the update site and it actually worked this time! I dont know if it had something to do with the client services network or not....???

But i think that takes care of all the issue now!! :)

Thank you all for all of your help!! I really appreciate it

kathy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing is to make sure you are logged in with Admin rights.
Make sure you are not logged in as a Guest as this will cause the issue you are stating.
Let me know and I will research this a little more.

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay, yes i am logged in with administrator rights. At the site now, and it seems to be downloading some updates now...hopefully it will have no issues with them. I will let you know what happens

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok thank you for the update. I will monitor this topic for your reply.