Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weird "Want to format?" Message

• Please log in to reply

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is really weird! Ny computer is still operating but my Drive E on the same physical drive as C is blank and when I try to open it I get a white screen and a message asking me if I want to reformat the drive. Music files were stored on this drive...Is there any way I can recover these. What could have happened to cause this problem???

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try this: http://www.pcinspect....htm?language=1

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'll give it a try and will post results...Thanks for quick response.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hope it all goes well.
I will be waiting for the results! :)

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Today I checked the Event Log viewer and there are about 100 red x marks followed by the word DISK. Also, there is a loud thumping noise coming from the drive...the drive is actually on a friend's computer. I told my friend to shut down her computer and to not use it until we could figure out how to save her data to a new disk. I noticed that PCI has a number of other utilities. Would you recommend saving the data via disk imaging using something like Acronis or possibly something from PCI? I have never done this before and want to be able to save the many pictures my friend has collected over the last several years.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The drive may be failing. Use Acronis, if you have it, and create a disk image, and store it on an external hard drive.

Also, directly copy the important files you need to save on an external drive. Make sure you have a backup of all the data you want to keep.

Also create a boot disc using Acronis: http://www.whatsabyt..._cd_ATI2009.htm
If the drive fails, you will have to get a new one, and restore the image using the boot disc.

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks so much for your quick response! I have Seagate's disk set up tools which includes a mini-version of Acronis so you can clone your drive. Thanks to the link for creating the boot disc...

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You are welcome. :)
Get the failing drive cloned right away.
If you need any more help, or have any more questions, please feel free to ask them.

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just an update...The new drive we installed was WD. I tried to use Lifeguard to set up the drive and copy the docs, etc. Lifeguard barfed at copying the files from the old drive...The old drive is still recognized but apparently can't be copied using the tools. We reinstalled Windows and my friend has access to most things on the old drive. I am going to make an image of The only one that is blank right now is "E". I told her to get everything she wants moved to the new drive and I am going to teach her how to do backups. The old drive is not making the clunking sounds it was making the other day but that could happen any time I know...I have a program NTFS Undelete that I thought I might try to use on the blank partition. It claims it can find the files. Would it be a futile effort to try that? I'm going to image "D" partition. Should I also try to image "C" since we have reinsalled windows?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you give me a map of your hard drives, what partitions they have, and what the partitions have on them.
Like this:
HD1 (old hard drive)
C: and D:
Windows and data files

HD2 (new hard drive)
E: and F:
Windows and movies

Advertisements

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The new hard drive is C (Disk 1). No partitions have been set up on disk 1. Only has a fresh install of windows. Nero is the only program install so far.

The old hard drive(2) is D, E, F, G.
Drive D has the original windows, program files; downloads and lots of misc files related to Print Shop (curr4ently not installed).

E has 2.19 GB photos
F shows an unformatted partition but contained hours of downloaded music
G Has more photos and misc from a previous computer

My friend says many of the photos are duplicates and can be deleted but it will take a lot of time to do this.

If you need more information, just let me know. Thanks for your help.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Whenever Windows asks you to format a drive that already has info on it, it means the partition table has either been lost or corrupted for that drive. The only way I have been able to recover info from such a drive is in RAW format.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
I've actually seen good results with a program called "TestDisk".

It looks like your partition table is messed up lets see if we have a chance of recovering it.
  • Please download the Ultimate Boot CD here.
  • Please burn the file to a CD using a ISO burner. (If you do not have a ISO burner you can get one Here)
  • Please boot to the CD using the disk you just burned.
  • Press enter to boot to the disk when prompted.
  • Using the up and down arrow keys select File System Tools.
  • Select Partition Tools.
  • Select TestDisk
  • Let it load do not press anything until you get to the screen that says at the top:
    TestDisk 6.6 Data Recovery Utility
  • Unless you have more then one hard drive installed take the default option and press enter to proceed.
  • Due to you are on a PC select Intel and press enter.
  • Select Analise
  • The next screen will display the current partition structure. If you System shows anything but No partition is bootable please post back with what it says.
  • Click Enter to Proceed.
  • The next screen is where TestDisk will analyze your disk.
  • After that it will come back with the results. It should show. Under Partition NTFS. With a Star Indicating Primary Bootable.
  • Press enter to continue.
  • Use the Left and Right arrow keys to select write.
  • Type Y and press enter to confirm.
  • Remove the disk.
  • Restart your computer.

EDIT:

contained hours of downloaded music

I hope this is legally downloaded music
P2P programs can cause nasties and are highly suggested to be removed :)

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 05 June 2009 - 10:16 AM.

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the great suggestions for recovering the files. I will try that tomorrow or the next day and will let you know what happens. I have printed your replies and will take them with me when I go back to work on the computer.

The music did not come from a peer to peer sharing site so I guess it is legal.

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a Ultimate Boot Disk already and I also have a complete list of instructions printed out telling me how to use Test Disk. Thanks again. Tried to edit my last reply but couldn't so I just added this note.