Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems getting into normal windows mode

• Please log in to reply

SendEveryone

SendEveryone

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am heaving problems getting into normal windows mode. I can boot into windows 2000 pro, normal mode, for about 15 seconds, just before it would ask for the password, but then the screen freezes and runs the windows boot logo perpetually from that point, without ever getting in. I can restore a Ghost Image and get it to work for a few times, maybe 2 or 3 times, but after working like a charm for a short time, the freeze thing starts all over again. While in the Freeze Mode, I can get into Windows Safe Mode with no problems. I’ve checked all my slot and wire connections, removed all the recent software installs, and checked the system Hardware and all is fine their. I’ve ran Virus, Adware and Spyware scans with Norton, Spybot and Spyware Doctor, to no avail. I just read on another forum that the issue may be a dust buildup in my video/processor/power Fans – I just put the air gun to them and the inside of the machine, perhaps this will solve my problem. I will let you know.

Thanks very much in advance.

Edited by SendEveryone, 30 May 2009 - 11:51 AM.

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
If you think you might have a malware problem, I would start a new topic in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum, where someone will help you as soon as possible.

SendEveryone

SendEveryone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't think I have a malware problem, nothing shows up in that regard after scanning with Virus, Adware and Spyware scanners. One thing I am getting is the blue screen of death.

Edited by SendEveryone, 30 May 2009 - 11:21 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you please post the error code of the BSOD.
Also go to the directory C:\Windows\Minidump
Make sure that hidden files are visible.
Then zip up the recent files in that directory (within a week) and attach the .zip archive to your next post.

Also remove your HiJackThis log from your 1st post. Those logs are only intended for the Malware Forum.

SendEveryone

SendEveryone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
What is an "error code of the BSOD" and how do I find/get to it.
Also, how do I open/read the mini dump file.

I've removed the HiJackThis log as you suggested from this thread...

Edited by SendEveryone, 30 May 2009 - 12:01 PM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
as you can boot into safe mode, then it may be a driver thats somehow failing to load properly in normal mode,
a handy thing i have to try to diagnose this sort of problem is msconfig,

msconfig from xp will and does run in win2k,

if you have access to xp, you can copy msconfig from the c:\windows\system folder in xp to the c:\winnt\system32 folder in win2k

or you can download it from here and locate it in the c:\winnt\system32 folder (make sure its the xp version),

you can use start > run and type msconfig then hit enter to run it

you can also try start > run and type eventvwr and hit enter, in the application logs find the most recent one with an error, double click to view and see if it has a driver (.sys) associated with it and dissable it in msconfig/services and reboot

SendEveryone

SendEveryone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I went through msconfig yesterday with no luck. I used the "eventvwr" earlier this morning and had some errors right after a crash but I did not see any .sys files associated with any driver...

this was the error that I got just before the crash:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SAVRT
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20
Date: 5/30/2009
Time: 11:55:23 AM
User: N/A
Computer: A
Description:
Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files.

I'm not sure what "Event Source: SAVRT" is?

I also received an "eventvwr" warning 10 minutes before the crash saying: "that one of my disks was at or near capacity, and that I may need to delete some files."
I thought that 10% was minimum needed and OK for a disks free space? Its at 10.7% (free space) now. I mainly us this Disk for file storage.

I am going to run a FULL Virus Scan and see what I find! The Scans I ran as noted in my original post above were only quick scans! I'll come back and let you know what I find. In the mean time, could someone look over my HijackThis Log.

Thanks in advance,
SendEveryone

Edited by SendEveryone, 30 May 2009 - 01:26 PM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
do you have norton antivirus ?

the file SAVRT is SAVRT.SYS, its a norton system driver

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

What is an "error code of the BSOD" and how do I find/get to it.
Also, how do I open/read the mini dump file.

When a BSOD comes up, look for text like 0x????????? (0x?, 0x?, 0x?, 0x?)
That is the error code. Post that when a BSOD comes up.

Seeing as this could relate to Norton I am looking for a Driver IRQL error.

To get your minidump files, go to the directory specified in the post above. Then right click and choose New, and then Compressed (Zipped) Folder.
Then copy the minidump files into that new folder you created. Then, in your next post, attach the folder that has your minidump files in them. I will analyze them.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
just a note - there is no windows folder in w2k, its winnt, so the path is c:\winnt\minidump
there is no built in zipper either, one would have to be downloaded and installed

7zip - free

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you very much hawklord. :)
I usually assume that we are working with Win. XP in this forum.

SendEveryone

SendEveryone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I found two virus's on my computer and according to Norton, the one called Backdoor.Trojan can cause Medium Damage and Opens a back door (OUCH!!!). The other infotealer.I.ineage just causes a low level of damage (Oh Well).

We will see if this solved my problem?

Also by the way, and some were along the way, and even though my computer runs off of winnt (Windows 2000 Pro), My windows directory calls itself Windows...Really
and so the path is c:\windows\minidump. Also I have my Dump File setup so it does a Kernel Memory Dump - this only take about 20 seconds to create and It give more reliable info according to Microsoft than does a minidump file.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Kernel Memory Dump - this only take about 20 seconds to create and It give more reliable info according to Microsoft than does a minidump file.

That is all right, but to get the debugging info follow this article: http://www.cakewalk....er/minidump.asp

Also follow this guide: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Then post the required logs in the Malware Forum. We will wait for a tech to declare you clean before we proceed.

Everything

Everything

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry it took me awhile to get back, I have been having trouble logging in as "SendEveryone". I remembered that you can register under different email addresses (I hope this is allowed), so I am back and logged in as "Everything", really it is me, "SendEveryone"!

I think I may have found the answer to my problem. I have Spyware Doctor on my computer and I updated it and I believe that this update looked up my computer upon reboot. It took me a while to figure this out, Every time I restored my computer from a Norton Ghost backup, I then would get back into Windows and unknowingly update Spyware Doctor along with other maintenance issues then reboot and the computer would lockup all over again.

From what I can tell, the answer to solve this issue is that you need to uninstall the old program then reinstall the update as a new program.

I hope this works, I will let you know...

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right. Hope this goes well! :)