Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will Ubuntu 9.04 run on this AMD CPU & Gigabyte Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

pkjm17

pkjm17

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm going to be running Ubuntu 9.04 and have purchased this CPU & MB for the computer I'm building. Will Ubuntu 9.04 work on these chips?

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Ubuntu is an operating system, it should be able to be installed onto your hardware.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yes. Ubuntu is very compatible, but any mobo and CPU will do.

K.O

K.O

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes. Ubuntu is very compatible with hardware. CPU and motherboard should never pose a problem. (unless it is not powerful enough)

P.S- my first post, please be nice

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
its best to run a live cd to see if its fully compatable,
i've tried running ubuntu on mine and it doesn't work (p4 3.4, 2gb ddr400) as both live cd and full install

just download the .iso
burn to disk
make sure first boot device is cd/dvd in your bios
pop the disk in and off you go

the live cd does not need your hdd to run

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

i've tried running ubuntu on mine and it doesn't work (p4 3.4, 2gb ddr400) as both live cd and full install

That is uncommon. What is the problem?

If you have other hardware that you are not so sure if it will work (like a wifi adapter, or a sound card), try using a Live CD.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

That is uncommon. What is the problem?

If you have other hardware that you are not so sure if it will work (like a wifi adapter, or a sound card), try using a Live CD.

it just won't run - i've had a couple of distro's do that, fedora with kde, pclinuxos 2009, mepis and even mandriva with gnome (even though i actually use mandriva with kde3 + 4),
even my knoppix pendrive is a bit choosy about the monitor and screen resolution

its not a problem, but using a live cd is always good advice as sometimes hardware is not fully compatable,

ps - i can actually install kubuntu

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Ubuntu isn't actually compatible with all hardware setups. It is very uncommon, but still possible.