Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen sometimes discolored. Virus or hardware problem?

• Please log in to reply

Anna 123

Anna 123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My dell xps laptop is less than a year old. Now all of a sudden when i was online the screen became discolored, mouse stopped working and just froze. I restarted the computer and it was normal for about 5 minutes and then the same thing happened. So again i restarted in safe mode and um now running a full virus scan. Its at 90% done and clean so far. What could it be?? In safe mode it still discolored the screen in stripes but at least it doesnt freeze and continues to scan ... Also i moved the lap top twice and it went back to normal for about a minute. Simeone help please! I take really good care of it and never dropped it! Thanks!!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like video chip is dying.
I assume, the laptop is still under warranty, so take advantage of it.

Anna 123

Anna 123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yay! I solved the problem! Unfortunately my cpu was not under warranty anymore but basically it was a problem with overheating. Its getting warm out there so it was probably too warm in my room for the computer. Anyway the problem is called "horizontal and vertical lines" and it happens because the graphics are overheated and all it needed was an update that i got from the dell website. So if anyone else gets this, go on the dell website and download the bios 15 update that came out in january 2009, a highly recommended update. Aparently its not just my dell and many laptops needed this update. Yay im back to lovin my laptop! Was scared some virus killed it!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I've never heard about solving overheating problem with BIOS update, but, if it worked for you...