Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help me: My Sound Wont Work At All!

• Please log in to reply

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
:) :)

I have 3 major problems with my PC right now. 1. my Drag & Drop feature No longer works 2. Copy & Paste will not Work. But The Worst is
3. My Sound wont Work for [bleep]!!- ive been trying for Weeks, No Luck

So I had a virus on my computer about a month ago so I deleted all affected Files attached to the Virus. at 1st b4 I removed the viruses I was trying my best to get back to the best performance where my Internet, Sound & Anti-Viruses all worked. I had this dumb idea to DL a virus removal program to remove them(I later found out that 1 of those files were Svchost.exe which is a sound component, IDK its still running though), that worked but other problems started like me Not being able to use System restore or be able to open Windows Media Player or Tune up utilities.
--------------------------------
But any way My Sound will not work, thats the main problem right now, Can any one help me?? :)

let me tell you what Ive already tried:

I tried removing my sound driver hardware: Real Tek ac 97 & re-installing, No luck.

here are certain error messages:
"No Active Mixer devices installed" when I try to go to Sound locations

When I try to Start Windows audio service: I get "dependency service failed error
1068"

when I try to manually DL stuff I get Windows Installer Error

i mean Ive tried so many things from all around the Web, hopefully 1 of you beutiful people could let me borrow your time & help me out here, Thanx

:) :) :)

Edited by Cazatuz, 30 May 2009 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
You may still have remenants of the virus left on your computer. Because of that, I would advise you go to our Malware section HERE and read the stickies, especially this one.

That being said, one thing you can try is opening a command prompt (Start-->Run-->type in CMD and hit enter) and typing in sfc /scannow (note the single space between sfc and /scannow) and hitting enter. THis is the system file checker. It will check your system files and repair any damaged ones.

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeah, I tried that Scan already, all it seemed to do was scan in the background but there was nothing to make me think it repaired anything at all :) :)

it didnt even give me log, was it suppose to??

Edited by Cazatuz, 30 May 2009 - 06:07 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

No. If sfc exited finding no problems, it will just close.

Give me an Everest Report. Click on "Everest Instructions" in my sig, and follow the steps entailed.

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

No. If sfc exited finding no problems, it will just close.

Give me an Everest Report. Click on "Everest Instructions" in my sig, and follow the steps entailed.

Done, I have the log but My Copy/Paste Feature is Not Working so Im gonna have to send it to you Via email, What is your address??(or for anyone else that knows about everest reports who wants to help me, this question is for you too)...

Edited by Cazatuz, 30 May 2009 - 06:39 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Once Everest has created a plain text log, click on Save as File in the upper left corner. Once the report has been saved, attach it to your next post.

Also, if you haven't created a new topic in the Malware Forum, do so now. First read this guide: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Post the required logs in the Malware Forum, and give me a link to your topic.

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
link in malware forum: http://www.geekstogo...og-t240830.html

everest report log

Attached Files

Edited by Cazatuz, 31 May 2009 - 09:02 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest like PedroDAgr8 says and go to the Malware Forum and make sure they check your system for any remnants of the virus. Once they have given you a clean bill of health then return here and if the problem still exists then we can help you further. Some virus can hide themselves and replicate faster then you can clean. The techs in that forum are specially trained to deal with these problems.
Anything done here may only last a day or so if the system is still infected. :)

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Once Everest has created a plain text log, click on Save as File in the upper left corner. Once the report has been saved, attach it to your next post.

Also, if you haven't created a new topic in the Malware Forum, do so now. First read this guide: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Post the required logs in the Malware Forum, and give me a link to your topic.

from the malware page, I get an error when attepting Step 1, Malware bytes, anti malware. Runtime error 372- Failed to load control vbalgrid from vbalsgrid outdated.....etc

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here is a big problem I see first off. Not that this would cause your problem but it will make everything run slower.

Physical Memory:
Total 247 MB
Used 214 MB
Free 33 MB
Utilization 87 %

With only 247 megs of ram your system is running on the barest to just get the OS to start. I would suggest you:

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Second of all if you can't get any program to work then when you start your post in Malware forum then make sure you mention that you cannot get any program to run. This way the Malware Tech understands the situation from the start.

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Here is a big problem I see first off. Not that this would cause your problem but it will make everything run slower.

Physical Memory:
Total 247 MB
Used 214 MB
Free 33 MB
Utilization 87 %

With only 247 megs of ram your system is running on the barest to just get the OS to start. I would suggest you:

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Second of all if you can't get any program to work then when you start your post in Malware forum then make sure you mention that you cannot get any program to run. This way the Malware Tech understands the situation from the start.

I did the scan & that info was good to know, but im not paying for anything extra thats not already built in to my pc. I still have over 80GB out of 112GB of free space left, but lets say i did increase Ram or whatever, Would that Increase my performance or maybe or my speed most??

& keep in mind my Sound problem please Guyz...

Edited by Cazatuz, 31 May 2009 - 09:54 AM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Hands down would increase your speed. With that little ram, a HUGE amount of system information is stored on your hard drive. Also, you said 80GB free space, that is your hard drive not your ram. When the system runs out of ram it stores the information on the hard drive, the difference in speed between ram and hard drive is around 1000 fold or more (with the hard drive being around 1000 times slower than RAM). This can REALLY result in slow downs in XP. I know this from experience (I added 512MB of ram to a friends laptop that had only 256MB and it was a DRASTIC improvement in fluidity and performance).

Now that being said, your malware thread doesn't have the required logs in it (they use different logs than we do here). Make sure to post the fact that you received an error with Malwarebytes in the malware thread as well. Just skip that first step and try to get the other log(s) required.

Don't worry, we aren't forgetting your problem in the least bit. We are just considering ALL options.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 31 May 2009 - 10:44 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
First get your problems sorted out in the Malware Forum. If problems persist after a tech declares you clean, come back here.

Adding RAM to your computer is the most cost effective way to increase system performance and speed. That is the #1 upgrade that I always suggest.

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

First get your problems sorted out in the Malware Forum. If problems persist after a tech declares you clean, come back here.

But No ones Responding :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Be patient. The malware techs are very busy and try really hard to address every issue. If you don't get a response for three days, then post in the Waiting Room.
http://www.geekstogo...-Room-f100.html