Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Movie Maker Configuration

• Please log in to reply

bill_in_pei

bill_in_pei

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Using Windows XP3's Movie Maker I created a project (Home.mswmm). The menu option to "save as movie file" (.wmv) offers various options; I want the highest possible quality.

When I choose the highest quality "save as file on your computer", I got a bit rate of 2624 kbps for audio and for video I got 856 x 480 pixels (a ratio I wanted for wide screen TV) and a data rate of 434 kbps (I'm NOT happy with that number!).

When I chose the "save as DVD" option, the numbers were 2079 kbps audio, and video 720 x 480 and 1900 kbps. I'm unable to find an ini file that will let me control these "save as" properties. Is there another file or a registry key somewhere that lets me change the image size, bit rate and data rate of the wmv file that will be created?

TIA, Bill

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Movie Maker isn't the be-all-and-end-all of movie creation, and it's generally rubbish anyway for anything more than uploading videos to YouTube.

A software solution called Virtualdub is a more powerful solution but it's also a more complicated program therefore it's far easier to screw the entire project up with it.

This guide here is very useful, it talks about capturing the video at source, which you may already have anyway so you could just skip that bit:
http://dvdguide.ennik.com/

bill_in_pei

bill_in_pei

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the fast and helpful response Neil. The link looks good :)
Bill