Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System crash after RAM install

• Please log in to reply

DoomWarder

DoomWarder

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok here is a quick rundown of my system atm:

CPU- AMD Phenom x4 9850 Black edition

RAM- 6gigs of Corsair 1066mhz DDR2 ram (2 one gig chips and 2 two gig chips)

HD- WD 500gig Sata-II 7200rpm

Operating System- Windows XP Pro 64bit version with latest Service pack and all available updates

Mainboard- MSI K9a2 Platinum

Video Card(s)- Visiontek 3870x2 (x2)

Power Supply- Coolermaster 1200watt

ok now my problem...

I just recently added the 2 two gig chips of ram to my system, which was previously stable as can be. When I added the extra 4 gigs of ram my system started acting up when playing games; WoW, Crysis, etc.

So thinking I could nip the problem in the bud I try to eliminate the ram issue, booting with only the original 2 one gig chips. No dice! So I try each of the 2 gig chips by themselves and then together... No dice!

What my computer would do is give me a blue screen or just reboot!! The blue screen didnt give me much info.

If all I am doing is surfing the web or streaming movies the computer is just fine. I have a feeling it has to do with the memory controller not knowing what to do with this much memory 6 gigs of RAM and 2 gigs of VRAM might be too much for it. But then why when I reduce the amount of memory does it still mess up?

Thanks for any advice given and if you have any questions for my about my system please ask them so we can eliminate any possibilities.

Advertisements