Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Need Some Serious Help

• Please log in to reply

Ramone_94

Ramone_94

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Every one. I seem to have quite a number of problems with my computer.I am currently using the OS Windows Vista Ultimate. I have changed my processor architecture from x64 to x86 and now it is causing me a lot of problems, programs cannot be installed and some cannot run properly.Can You please tell me how to change back my processor architecture back x64.And Also I have even considered Reseting My computer to factory settings but i have seen that this has also failed.I have a built in recovery disk partition and since i have to reset my computer to default.I have to create a recovery disk. But when i attempt to two errors appear stating that Recovery Partition cannot be found even when it is there and that there is no valid boot image in partition. PLEASE HELP ME I AM GOING CRAZY! I AM VERY LOST. :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome...

You sure do have some serious problems here. The first thing I'd like to know is how on earth you changed the processor architecture from x64 to x86? Did you swap the processor around?

Or did you somehow manage to install a 32-bit OS as a repair install over a 64-bit OS?

Troy

Ramone_94

Ramone_94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank You Very Much For Your Reply.I did neither.I Was trying to install a video game which is considerably new.When i was installing it and error came up about processor and side by side configuration is incorrect.It Gave Me a location of where to go and change the processor architecture to x86.I think it is somewhere in control panel,but i have been searching now for more than a month and a half and im sure it is not there.It Was A List Of Processor Settings and management(I think) Which Had Boxes That Could Be Ticked and i ticked something dealing with x86.I do not have a clear memory.However i have managed to find some information on what i did the in Control Panel/System and Maintenance/System/Advanced System Settings in the environment variables. Also I Have upgraded my pc recently from a 32 bit OS Vista Basic To a 32 bit OS Ultimate.My Pc Has 64 bit capability but i have upgraded it with an 32 bit OS.I Had upgraded after i had this problem. STILL HAVING PROBLEM AND TO MAKE IT WORSE I CANNOT RESTORE MY SYSTEM TO FACTORY SETTINGS.DUE TO THE SECOND PROBLEM I HAVE STATED IN MY FIRST MESSAGE.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you have saved all the data you need, then you should be able to reinstall Vista from the Ultimate upgrade disc, as you mentioned you upgraded from Vista Home Basic.

Installing from the disc will give you two options, either the in-place upgrade option (which is like a "repair install") and may fix your problem. Otherwise you'll need to choose the custom option for a clean install. The clean install will completely format the drive and erase all information as part of the process.

Do you still have the Ultimate upgrade disc?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Is this where you're talking about?

[attachment=30629:Processo...itecture.jpg]

Ramone_94

Ramone_94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes That is It.But Not where i managed to change the processor architecture.I still do have that upgrade disc in my possession.I have all my files on a removable disc.How do i go about doing a clean installation?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Simply start the computer with the disc in the drive. It should boot up off the disc. Then it'll present you with a screen, and you can just follow through with the steps to install Windows again. Make sure to read carefully what you're doing. For a clean install, you'll want to select the "Custom" option instead of the "Upgrade" option when you get to that page.

Make sure, before you start, to have drivers downloaded and ready to go, as it's likely Windows won't have generic drivers to cover all your hardware. In particular, you'll want your LAN and/or wireless drivers so you can get internet access in the very least. At least this way you can access the internet from the machine to download the rest of the drivers.

Troy

Ramone_94

Ramone_94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you so much for your help Troy.You Saved My computer man.My severe headaches have come to an end.Didnt know about that alternative. :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Glad I could help.

:)