Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Unexpected Problem: video card

• Please log in to reply

Kid No Nothing

Kid No Nothing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been using an XFX GeForce 9600GSO 768MB video card for roughly seven months now with no problems whatsoever occuring during its time of use. I've been playing games like The Sims 2, and other games of relatively small graphical intensity (Mount and Blade), so I haven't been taxing the card or my system to any great extent. And I have a power supply unit that is an order of magnitude more than what I need to run this particular card.

Today I went to take a shower, leaving the computer on. Everything was functioning perfectly fine. When I returned to the computer, it was shut down and the power button was blinking orange. I had encountered a similar phenomenon when a previous video card required a better power supply and wouldn't start up (which is why I have the current power supply at a little under 600w). I restarted the computer; the hard drive powers on, even the video card powers on. But nothing shows up on the monitor. After roughly 30 seconds, the fan on the video card stops (I think the card itself has powered off) and maybe ten seconds later starts working again, but still without a picture on the monitor.

I know that no one tinkered with the computer since I was the only one home at the time. I know the problem is not with the power supply, since I've checked it with borrowed video cards, and I know it's not the PCI slot (again borrowed video card and the fact that I'm currently using a much lower end graphics card right now: Nvidia 7300 GS). And there has been no indication of fault leading up to the initial power off. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what course of action I might take?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Kid No Nothing, 30 May 2009 - 06:54 PM.