Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking for an external Computer Monitor

• Please log in to reply

Laxer34

Laxer34

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm back, guys.

So I got the speaker system for Christmas (which is AMAZING) so now I'm looking to upgrade again. I'm looking for an external computer monitor to view movies on, *maybe* play video games on, and just to upgrade from a small laptop screen in a tiny dorm room.

What would you guys recommend? My price range is anything up to about $200 or $250. I'm looking for good graphics on a decently sized monitor (20 inches+). I might be willing to splurge a couple bucks more if it means getting a better quality monitor in that size range.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This looks good, and is below your price point: http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=A179-2240
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=4420

Edited by edge2022, 31 May 2009 - 12:03 PM.

Laxer34

Laxer34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
that's great. Thanks edge. Also, if I were to get that monitor, would I need to buy any other wires in order to hook it up to my computer? And I would also be able to listen to the movie I'm watching on it if I had speakers, right?

Thanks again.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If you already have speakers (not on the monitor) hooked up to your computer, they will work fine with the monitor.

The 170$ monitor, 22", and with a resolution of 1680 X 1050
http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=A179-2240
This monitor can connect to your computer with a VGA or DVI cable. If your previous monitor had any one of those cables, you can use them to connect this one. I also think the monitor comes with a VGA and DVI cable.

The 250$, 24" monitor with a resolution of 1920 X 1200
http://www.tigerdire...mp;body=QA#tabs
This is a really good monitor. I am not so sure that this one comes with cables though. You should already have a DVI cable though b/c you can reuse the one you are using with the old monitor.

Laxer34

Laxer34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Would you recommend one of those monitors over the other, edge? And I never had a monitor to begin with - this will be my first one.

And as for the resolution, the higher the better, right?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The higher resolution is better, but costlier.
The more expensive monitor is larger than a 1080p HD display. It can display very high resolutions. This monitor comes with speakers too. This monitor only supports DVI though.

Look around your computer for a DVI or VGA connection.
For images of them search Google.

I think the 22" monitor is a better value though. I would suggest buying that one b/c you don't need speakers built in to the monitor, and the lower resolution won't really show, unless you are playing games. This monitor also has a lot of positive user feedback, and good support.

The monitor you choose has to do if you have a DVI port or not, and what you want out of the monitor.

Laxer34

Laxer34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a VGA connection. I think I'm going to go out and scout out more monitors, but the 22" monitor will definitely be at the top of my list. However, I will probably be playing games (Xbox 360, PS3, N64, etc) on this monitor, so will the lower resolution really be noticeable?

Thanks

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Well the monitor is not full HD, so you will notice it a little bit.
The cheaper monitor doesn't take a RGB, Composite, or HDMI input, so you won't be able to use any consoles with it. The more expensive one will take an RGB Analog input and DVI, but not VGA.

To get the best of both monitors I suggest this one: http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=3774
25" screen with full HD. Accepts VGA and HDMI, for use with your PS3. Make sure that your PS3 has a HDMI out slot though. Not so sure if your X360 has an HDMI port or not. Your N64 needs a RGB connection, and this monitor doesn't have one. This monitor also has speakers built in.

Laxer34

Laxer34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey Edge

I'm extremely sorry it took so long to repair, but it's been a busy summer. I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could help me out. Rather than getting an expensive monitor that could only be used with my computer, I looked ahead and decided to get a TV instead. It's a Vizio - thisone. I haven't hooked it up yet, but the reviews were great.

Now, my question is...*drum roll please!* another computer-illiterate one. What else is new?? Anyways, my question. I know that in order to connect it to my computer, I need to go out and buy an RGB PC jack and an audio jack. My question is this - when I connect the audio jack (This one) will the sound coming from the tv go through my speaker system? On my speaker system I have my sound card all set up, so I believe this is where my audio jack will connect, yes? And to add onto the question, say I were to play Xbox games on the tv, would I be able to mute the sound from the tv and just play music from my computer?

Wow, that one "simple" question just turned into multiple questions at once. If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Laxer34

Laxer34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
bump?