Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery Software?

• Please log in to reply

gr8joel

gr8joel

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Hello fellow Geekstogo Members.

I have a Gateway GT4022 (OS:Windows XP Media Center Edition) and basically wanted to restore the computer to factory settings.
I believe this is called Full system restore destructive.

However I am not sure I want to do this because I would like to make recovery discs before I do this.
Im not sure if I have a second partition, and the only thing I see is the C drive.

Is there a definitive way i can tell if I have "recovery cd/dvd making software" on my computer?

I tried with Gateway but they told me my warranty was out (its about 5 year old computer.)

Heres the link to my computer info if it helps any.

http://support.gatew...1009051nv.shtml

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Press F11 at Gateway logo, and you'll see, if you have an access to recovery partition.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
After you restore your computer to factory settings, it would be good to make a set of recovery discs: http://support.gatew...MLXPH1su5.shtml

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Thanks guys, Im going to try this today, and get back at you as soon as possible (today lol) and tell you if it worked. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Sure thing.
I am waiting to see how this goes. :)

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
I am sad to say that F11 did not reveal anything as well as going to the website that was recommended.
I tried typing the command that was given at the website "C:\WINDOWS\CREATOR\CD Creator.exe"but it didntwork.

Is there any means of recovery that you would recommend that i could look into?

Thanks in advance :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Maybe, there is no recovery partition there, or someone removed it.
Was it your computer from the beginning, or you bought it used?
If you got Windows Explorer, is there any other drive listed there, than drive C?

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Yes we bought it new. A year back we took it to a virus person to take out the viruses and he was going to do a "clean sweep". Im guessing he made back up recovery discs in order to complete his task. I dont remember him ever giving us any cds afterwards. He probably kept the recovery cds for his own sick purpose lol :)

Windows only shows the c drive.

Its to bad i didnt know then what I know now otherwise I would have known to make recovery cds in advance.

Are there any programs out there that would allow me to do a full system restore destructive without recovery disks?

Ive heard of Norton Ghost butIm not sure.

Once again thanks in advance :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It looks like your computer guy formatted a whole drive, and recovery partition is gone.
He wouldn't keep CDs, because recovery CD works only on this one particular computer, so they're useless to him.

I'd call Gateway, and they may send you recovery CD at shipping charges cost.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The only option is to call Gateway, as said by Broni.

Are there any programs out there that would allow me to do a full system restore destructive without recovery disks?

Ive heard of Norton Ghost butIm not sure.

No there aren't any programs like that. I suggest that after you restore your computer, and have all the software and drivers you need installed, you create an image of the hard drive to make future restorations easier. You can do this with Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, or Clonezilla.