Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to change the DPI on the printer?

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I bought this new printer.

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218011764601

I ran a page quality test like it stated and it passed but when I print something with a logo, mine for example, the image is not smooth but shows the pixels in squares kind of. I printed the same image from another printer (cheaper one) and it printed perfect/normal.

Could this be my DPI is set low? How can I change or view the DPI settings?

Advertisements

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Update.

I changed the printing quality to fine. My options were : fine, Normal, fast norma and fast.

the image is still not smooth.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I don't know the answer but I will throw out some thoughts that may trigger something in another reader. First, according to the download version of your manual, page 8, it says you should have the following quality settings:

Highest
Photo
Fine
Normal
Fast Normal
Fast

"Highest" is for precise image printing, using the highest resolutions, most ink and longest time to print each page. "Fast" is brother's way of saying draft quality - light grays instead of deep blacks, using the least amount of time and ink to print each page. Do you see the other settings?

What you describe as happening, however, sounds like pixelization - what you would see if printing a small digital image that has been blown up into a large image. If that is the case, then I expect you need to tell the printer to print in actual size.

Does text look good?

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Thanks for the reply. I do not see photo or highest.

As far as the image being blow up, I printed the same image on an older printer and it printed fine.

Test is fine, yes.

*update* In order to get the "photo or highest" you have to change the paper type. I changed it to inkjet paper then tried to print the image again with "photo" and it came out looking the same. Gr. :)

Edited by brettxw, 31 May 2009 - 12:03 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
And does this happen with all photos and images?

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I have not tried any other images. I actually do not know why I have not tried other images. Sorry. I will do it now and update.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Well, I tested the print with another image, in fact this image was 10x more detailed then the one I was having a problem with. Well, the print of this new image turned out to be really good. I'm just going to assume that then the issue was with the image itself.

Sorry to have wasted your guys time and I thank you for the help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Its not a waste of time because we all learn. The resolution to your problem could help someone else.
Thanks for letting us know.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Its not a waste of time because we all learn.

Agreed. Your problem was not something easily found with Google - so you did the right thing by asking. Had you not, you might have gone back to BestBuy where the expression on your face when the geek asked if you tried a second file would have been plastered all over YouTube by now! :)

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
haha. Ya I hear ya.

Well, how about this question? I was going through the FAQ's on brother website and came across this :

Title:
I'm using Windows Vista®. The print speed is very slow when I use XML Paper Specification Printer Driver.
Description:

This is the general characteristic of the XML Paper Specification Printer Driver.
If the performance level is unacceptable, please use the normal Brother printer driver that was supplied with your machine or is available on the Brother Solutions Center Download page.

I also have this issue but do not know how to change it. ideas?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
That I don't know - I would check your manual.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Alright, another update. I figured out how to change the XML driver.

Yet the printer is still not printing as fast as I would like or thought it would be. I have the settings set on "fine" and regular paper type. Any suggestions?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
To speed up printing? No - there are too many factors that affect that - including how much RAM and spare drive space you have, as well as how big the buffer is on the printer. And what is slow to you, may not be slow. Images always take longer than text.