Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply

LouBarratt

LouBarratt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone. I have been having a very stressful problem with my new graphics card I bought yesterday. I previously have a ATI Radeon 9200. The card I have now is a Geforce 6200 XFX.

This is the main problem. Upon doing everything by the book, I get as far as "installing" the new card only for it to get to the end of installation and to be told it didn't install as the parameter is incorrect.

Now after over 6 hours yesterday of looking into my computer and trying to sort it, I have found something that may be the problem. My ATI drivers cannot be manually uninstalled through add/remove programmes. It just won't let me and rolls back at the end of trying to uninstall it every time. So I tracked down every ATI file and uninstalled manually. Every file that is beside the ones that will not remove. Its in Mycomputer/c:/Windows/System32/Drivers - and a load of ATI files. When I try deleting them they just reappear straight away!! I think this may be the problem.

How do I get rid of these files permentally, or if you don't think that is the issue then what should I do?

Thanks in advance, I'm at my witts end with this!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Maybe try reinstalling the card and drivers, and then uninstalling the card and drivers again with Revo Uninstaller?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi LouBarrat, Welcome to Geekstogo!

I agree with Troy. We almost cross posted. Try booting up with your old car in your machine. Use Revouninstaller to uninstall the driver. Then, Shut down and install your new card.

Note: Revouninstaller will often uninstall things that Add/Remove Programs cannot. Hope that works! :)