Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card/Moniter/Driver Help Needed

• Please log in to reply

Aden

Aden

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Graphics Card:
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Output on the back: DVI (but i was provided with a DVI-VGA adapter so i am using a VGA cable to connect the computer to the moniter)
Moniter:
Samsung Syncmaster 932MW (19" - 1440x900, 60Hz)
Vista - 32bit

I haven't got a setting for 1440x900, so i downloaded something, which did eventually give me that resolution, but now its back to normal again, and i realise now i'm not sure if that download was trustworthy.

I'm struggling to find the right driver, even on the ATI website. Could somebody here do me a HUGE favour and help me solve my problem?

Spec list for the graphics card:
http://ati.amd.com/p...3600/specs.html

Thanks a lot to anyone that can help.

Edited by Aden, 31 May 2009 - 08:30 AM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is the following the driver you downloaded and installed?

https://a248.e.akama...9-5_xp32_dd.exe

Murray

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and find the download marked
Display Driver Only 24.7MB 9.5 5/15/2009

There are two downloads you will need unless you just want the video driver. Then all you will need is the driver I have suggested. Please let me know if this works for you

Aden

Aden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
@Murray:
When i click that link it just says "Unauthorized Download

We're sorry, but this download request cannot be authorized. "

@rshaffer:
I tried downloading that file but i don't think its installing properly. I have a feeling it may have something to do with the error (0xc0150004) that i have had appear a couple of times when trying to run certain applications. I think the installations are just terminating without telling me.
I tried downloading the larger file with the Catalyst Control Center, but now when i try to run it, it just says "No ATI graphics driver is installed., or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware"

I am also having a big problem when i start up the computer. It will display the inital DELL loading screen, then move on to the "Microsoft Corporation" screen with the loading bar, but then it will just display a white box saying "Not Optimum Resolution" which slowly bounces around the screen, and nothing else. Yesterday morning it did the same, but a after a few shut downs (by having to hold the power button) and restarts, one time it randomly showed the log in screen but in an incorrect resolution, then i signed in, and then it went back to 1440x900. This morning though, it just won't seem to show anything but the white box, unless i start in safe mode (which i am in now).

I have posted a HJT log here:
HJT Log
Just in case some kind of virus is causing the (0xc0150004) error or whatever it may be causing things to not run/install properly. If anybody could help out in that topic sooner rather than later it would be HUGELY appreciated, as i have some very important work that needs to be done over the next week and i am starting to panic quite a bit.

Thanks for the help so far
Aden

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Aden

Aden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, i followed the steps in that topic and have posted logs in my other thread, but they seem to be busy over there and i don't think they will be seen for a few days.

But, the anti-malware tools did show that no infections were found, but like i said, this moniter will only display what the computer is telling it to in safe mode, and i'm not sure if this will have affected the scans or not.

Just out of interest, have you worked with similar problems before? (with ATI Radeon graphics cards + LCD moniters), and has that download you provided from AMD solved the problem in those cases? (In other words, would that download just magically add the option of 1440x900 for me?)

Because it seems like the only problem i'm having (in terms of display) is that the computer hasn't set itself to a default 1440x900 or something, and then the moniter is reacting by just displaying the white box, preventing me from being able to see anything and be able to sign in/use the computer.
I have a CRT moniter in the house for the old family computer, would it be worth trying to start up the computer using that? - To see if it has a 1440x900 resolution setting or maybe to see if the driver even installed properly. It could just be that this moniter that i'm using isn't great for use with PC's (being a TV rather than a dedicated computer moniter).

But obviously, you're the pro's :) I'm just writing down my most likely unhelpful thoughts...

Thanks again, i really appreciate this.
Aden

Edited by Aden, 02 June 2009 - 07:41 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being a tv instead of a monitor will definitely cause a problem. No TV can match the monitors nowadays. Monitors have better resolutions but a newer HD tv can come close.

Aden

Aden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yeah i heard that TVs weren't quite as good, but that was after i set this all up.

Its a Samsung Pebble SM932MW (19"), Website

^ It says there that its meant to be quite good as a Computer Moniter.

Here's a website with some good specs for it:
Specs

May i just ask one thing? If you search for "samsung syncmaster 932mw driver" on google, are they genuine drivers? I wasn't sure if you could get drivers specifically for one type of moniter, so i don't trust them (unless you think otherwise).

Edited by Aden, 02 June 2009 - 08:02 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You might try going through Microsoft's Windows Update site. Check for Optional upgrades.

Aden

Aden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
YES!

I've done it, somehow.

Once my computer was on, i plugged in a HDMI cable and then the image starting showing (in bad quality and poor resolution though), but i was able to find a reliable monitor driver, and after a bit of messing about and switching between HDMI and VGA i've managed to sort it, hopefully forever. I turned the computer off like normal, and started it up like normal and everything worked fine, so i don't see why it should stop working again if i keep things running smoothly.

Thanks for the tips anyway, this forum has been a huge help to me over the years.

This topic can be closed now :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible