Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

single SATA hard drive install?

• Please log in to reply

internetcleaningtool

internetcleaningtool

• Pip
  • 2 posts
you must use the driver provide on the mainboard disk
it took me ages the first time i install a drive like this

internet cleaning tool

Advertisements

andman_21

andman_21

• Pip
  • 2 posts
still confused need help says not there after i pick one of the four choices then it starts to setup windows but then it says no mass storage devive i tried all four options but nothing works

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
andman21, please start a new post/thread with your problem.

list your info, such as make/model of motherboard, what chipset it has, what type of drive you have, etc.

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey andman_21, try this
>Turn your system on
>Get into BIOS by press the right key, likely "Del" Key.
>Goto boot priority and make sure your CD drive is first
>Reboot
>load up again with your XP CD in the CD drive
> Then follow audioboy's instrustions
next, you will need the sata drivers for your mainboard. they should have come on a disc with the mobo. if not, go to the mobo manufacturers website and download the driver (it may say raid, thats fine).
when loading windows, when it prompts "press F6 to install 3rd party scsi/raid drivers" do that. at the next prompt press S for scsi, then select your drive. windows will then load normally.

Hope thats what you want? (to install XP)

peter.n

peter.n

• Pip
  • 2 posts

if your using a single drive, use the non raid sata port.  the raid port on these boards are for raid only, so you would need 2 drives connected, then set up as a raid to work there.

follow the instructions from this thread about getting the BIOS set correctly to boot to other devices.

next, you will need the sata drivers for your mainboard.  they should have come on a disc with the mobo.  if not, go to the mobo manufacturers website and download the driver (it may say raid, thats fine).
when loading windows, when it prompts "press F6 to install 3rd party scsi/raid drivers" do that.  at the next prompt press S for scsi, then select your drive.  windows will then load normally.

View Post

Well, hello... ;) I have msi motherboard K8T Neo (MS-6702) with integrated Southbridge VT8237.. I read from the manual that on this motherboard should be two more Serial ATA Raid Connectors controled by Promise 20378, but they are missing in real life :tazz: .
My real problem is that I have only one Sata I disk (Hitachi 80GB), and I can't instal XP on it. In BIOS everything is set as it should be, but Windows setup doesn't recognise hard disk. I'm sure that hard drive is working, because when i boot system from another hard drive (old one) i can see this one in My Computer meni. But, bought Sata disk to instal operating system on it!
I'm realy sorry for being borring! ;)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
all you need to do is follow the instructions you quoted in your post- when installing windows, when prompted press F6.
follow the rest of the instructions, loading the SATA driver during the install, and you'll be good to go!

peter.n

peter.n

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! :tazz:

Zantoru

Zantoru

• Pip
  • 3 posts

all you need to do is follow the instructions you quoted in your post- when installing windows, when prompted press F6.
follow the rest of the instructions, loading the SATA driver during the install, and you'll be good to go!

View Post

I'm having this same problem right now. When you say load the SATA drivers, is it possible to do this with a CD that came with the motherboard, or does it have to be a floppy? I didn't bother getting a floppy drive for the computer because I never use them any more, and the mobo didn't come with a floppy, anyways. Any suggestions? If it helps, it's an ECS nForce 4 - A754 motherboard, and the hard drive is a Western Digital 160GB SATA HDD.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I dont know of a way to load it from anything but a floppy. the windows loader automatically accesses the floppy drive when you tell it to look for a driver...
borrow one from a friend if you can. you will only need it for the install, then you can take it out of the system.
worst case scenario is buy a floppy drive, they are pretty cheap now.

Zantoru

Zantoru

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I dont know of a way to load it from anything but a floppy.  the windows loader automatically accesses the floppy drive when you tell it to look for a driver...
borrow one from a friend if you can.  you will only need it for the install, then you can take it out of the system.
worst case scenario is buy a floppy drive, they are pretty cheap now.

View Post

I have a floppy drive that I can use here. The problem is that the motherboard didn't come with a floppy disc, just that CD.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ah, I misunderstood, sorry!
check on your mobo driver CD, they will usually include SATA drivers. there should be a folder with the drivers, and maybe even a utility to load them onto a floppy.
Im not having much luck finding references to which driver to use on the ECS website...Ill keep digging...

Zantoru

Zantoru

• Pip
  • 3 posts

ah, I  misunderstood, sorry!
check on your mobo driver CD, they will usually include SATA drivers.  there should be a folder with the drivers, and maybe even a utility to load them onto a floppy.
Im not having much luck finding references to which driver to use on the ECS website...Ill keep digging...

View Post

Thanks a lot ^^ I did some searching on the disc and found a floppy image folder in the RAID folder, and then put it on a floppy, loaded it before the Windows Setup started and then it all worked perfectly. Thanks a lot, again, I'm on the machine right now and it's runing amazingly. :tazz:

Edited by Zantoru, 11 June 2005 - 09:55 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
great, glad to hear it!

Glock1337

Glock1337

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ive read this post and have done it all to get XP on my sata hd.....only problem is when i try putting the mobo disc in and put the drivers onto the floppy, just as the mobo intruction manual says, i get a message that reads "driver not ready yet" and tells me to reboot my comp. I got no idea how to get this workin :tazz:

addict

addict

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i am having the same prob. just build a new pc, only have the one sata hd, and when i go to instal XP it wont recognize the HD. i read u need drivers for it that came with the main MOBO utility cd. so i just put that in to read first an luk for the sata drivers? can i put them on a zip drive disk too? or what? plz help been stock on this for a couple days. was also woundering if im going to have to by an ide HD to use the SATA HD. couse i only have the sata.

is this the driver i need?
VIA VT8237 SATA RAID driver or Silicon Image 3132 SATA RAID Driver

Edited by addict, 04 July 2005 - 01:13 AM.