Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

single SATA hard drive install?

• Please log in to reply

japplex

japplex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thankyou so much for putting up this post.

I have a new Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M mobo with VIA K8M800 chipset and a WD 160Gb SATA drive. I wasted a few hours trying to get winXP to load - changing BIOS settings, taking everything out and putting it back in one by one - then I searched the web.
The link to the VIA driver fixed my problem.
Regards to all who contributed.

Advertisements

dwaller36

dwaller36

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Since this thread has some excellent resources on SATA drive installation I thought this question might fit here. My original install of my Maxtor 160 gb SATA drive went fine some time ago. I am using it as a single drive (no raid levels set up). I recently added a 160 gb EIDE Western Digital HD to store backups, data, etc. on. Finally, the question, I have run basic and advanced HD benchmarks and the IDE drive is kicking the butt off the SATA drive on "sequential read and write" tests and "random seek and RW" tests. I wonder if I do not have the SATA drive setup right. Both HDs have been defragged, have similar page files and have 50% free disk space. Any ideas? I would think the SATA drive would show up better compared to the slower EIDE drive. The basic OS is on the SATA drive. Sorry for being a little wordy. Thanks.

will1

will1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you soundboy, once you said disable hard drive in the boot priority menu, it rang a bell. and yess. This has been the most expensive build I have made for myself, and after trying all of the bios setting, this one was what worked. Yea, and considering how many people are posting in this thread alone, may prompt mobo manufacturers to start doing single drive as the default scheme for their bios choice instead of assuming raid, or ide to be the end-user's choice.