Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried to fix Error 10047 with "netsh winsock reset:" at the

• Please log in to reply

neighnae

neighnae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I'm afraid, it's not.
Do you have Windows CD?

yes, I have a Windows XP Home Edition

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try repair: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

neighnae

neighnae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I did the update as you instructed in the link above. The finishing installation process is taking a long time. Is something wrong? The computer was installing it last night around 10:00p.m. and it's 6:20a.m. and I still see the Windows XP screen "Please wait..." and the hour glass. Should I reboot?

neighnae

neighnae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I did the update as you instructed in the link above. The finishing installation process is taking a long time. Is something wrong? The computer was installing it last night around 10:00p.m. and it's 6:20a.m. and I still see the Windows XP screen "Please wait..." and the hour glass. Should I reboot?

Broni,
I rebooted and everything looks good. If anything else comes up, I'll post with a different topic. Thanks a lot. This is resolved.

neighnae

neighnae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Broni,
I rebooted and everything looks good. If anything else comes up, I'll post with a different topic. Thanks a lot. This is resolved.

Don't close yet. I'm getting a message "The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context." It has popped on the screen several times. How can I correct this?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm glad, your main issue got fixed :)
When are you getting the above error? While using IE?

neighnae

neighnae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I'm glad, your main issue got fixed :)
When are you getting the above error? While using IE?

Yes. Whenever I type in an address I get this message. Then another message appears: Http:///www.google.com/ is not accessibe. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Edited by neighnae, 09 June 2009 - 10:50 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What IE version is it?
Are your Windows Updates current?

neighnae

neighnae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Version 6.0. No my windows updates aren't current. I have service pack 2 and I know there are later versions. How can I update? I can't get around this message.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Oh, I see.
Download IE7: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en on another computer, move it to THIS computer, and install it.

One of the reasons, it's a good idea to have more than one browser installed.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

That is very helpful if you are having network or compatibility problems.

Once you get IE working again, make sure that you have all the latest hotfixes and SP3.

neighnae

neighnae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

That is very helpful if you are having network or compatibility problems.

Once you get IE working again, make sure that you have all the latest hotfixes and SP3.

I downloaded IE7 and now when I click on the icon. It never opens. I can't get to the internet. I went to control panel/automatic updates to access the Windows Update wesite site and no response.

The response time for opening any folders is very slow. I also got this message: Windows -Virtual Memory Minimum too low. What do you think is wrong now?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

The computer was installing it last night around 10:00p.m. and it's 6:20a.m. and I still see the Windows XP screen "Please wait..." and the hour glass. Should I reboot?

If you did reboot in the middle of repair process, I think, you have run repair again.