Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Inspiron e1505 with windows wx

• Please log in to reply

jakekregel

jakekregel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I thought I knew enough to fix this problem on my gf's laptop but obviously not. Anyways when you start up the computer and you type in the password as soon as you hit enter it freezes. Once in a while it will say loading personal settings but thats it I left it like that all night and it never loaded Windows. I can start it in safe mode and was going to try to download something like ccleaner and go from there but in safe mode it will not let me go online for some reason....Any Ideas?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
To go online in Safe Mode, you need to choose Safe Mode With Networking from the Windows Advanced Options Menu. For more go here: http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm
When you connect in safe mode, you have to be connected through a wire (Ethernet or dialup)
Don't download CCleaner, as it can cause problems (with it's registry cleaner) if it is not used properly.

Follow the steps here to install the Recovery Console: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
Once installed, reboot and choose Microsoft Windows Recovery Console from the startup menu.
Then type in this command:
chkdsk /r

This will take a lot of time to complete. DO NOT interrupt this process as doing so may risk the integrity of your filesystem. Once completed, reboot by typing: exit
And try again.

jakekregel

jakekregel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks but when I type chkdsk/r it says: The command is not recognized
I tried typing just chkdsk and it says : The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked. Use /p if you want to check the volume anyway. I did that and still doesnt recognize it. What the heck did I do wrong?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The command is such:
chkdsk /r

There is a space between the k and the /