Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply

mjoseph

mjoseph

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Dell Dimension E521 with XP SP3 and can't connect to the internet.

The computer is connected to cable internet. The connection goes from the cable modem to a wireless D-Link Router to the Computer. The computer connects to the router via cables.

Specifically, the computer says it is connected to the internet but I cannot get any programs to connect to the internet. The wireless router still works for laptops that connect wirelessly.

I have tried switching cables, switching router ports, connecting directly to the cable modem, and I installed a wireless USB adapter. The wireless adapter did the same thing, it said the comp was connected to the network but still no internet access.

I also ran an AVG full computer scan in safe mode and detected nothing.

I am looking for help.

Thanks.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ty-t210691.html

Please try all the steps in the above link, then post back here if unsuccessful.

mjoseph

mjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I tried ipconfig/release and it did not work. I got the following error message:

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: The request is not supported

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

Thanks for the help so far. Awaiting further assistance.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
http://www.geekstogo...71#entry1134271
Please follow the post above from HappyRock. Only follow the post. The rest of the topic will not pertain to you.

mjoseph

mjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I completed sfc/scannow and it did not prompt me to fix anything or insert the XP CD at any point. (I still have no internet)

What's next?

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
1. Test your TCP/IP Settings
Open up Command Prompt and type: PING LOCALHOST
If you recieve any errors (ie: Host Not Found), then TCP/IP is not installed properly, and should be re-installed.

2. Check your Internet Connection
Attempt to PING your DNS Server. If that fails, then ensure that you have the correct Gateway Address set.

3. Check DNS Settings
1) PING YAHOO.COM

2) PING 216.109.112.135

3) Flush your DNS Cache by going to Start, Run, type CMD, and then type: IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS - press enter.

4) Start, Run, CMD - Type: nslookup yahoo.com

5) If you don't, then do the following:
(Start, Run, type CMD) Type: nslookup and press enter
Type: server 144.140.71.29 and press enter
Type: nslookup yahoo.com
If you receive the error message 'little or no
connectivity'? That error message is quite often caused by corrupted
Winsock entries. Try running WinSock XP Fix (be sure to make a registry back up before running this application).

----
(credit to Dan from GeeksToGo)

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 01 June 2009 - 05:26 PM.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
If you have any trouble with any of that, please ask for help!

mjoseph

mjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried step 1 and received the following: Can't find address for server localhost: No response from server

As such, I tried to reinstall TCP/IP by typing netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt - This fixed nothing, I still couldn't connect.

Second, I tried to ping the DNS server with nslookup, and I received the following:
*** Default servers are unavailable
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 127.0.0.1

I tried ping yahoo.com and received: ***Can't find address for server yahoo.com: No response from server

I tried ping 216.109.112.135 and I received:
Server: [216.109.112.135]
Address 216.109.112.135

*** 216.109.112.135 can't find ping: No response from server

Lastly I tried ping localhost and received:

*** Can't find address for server localhost: No response from server

I appreciate all the help so far. Thanks again. What is next?

Lastly

mjoseph

mjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oops, forgot to mention that I tried ipconfig/flushdns with the result:

Server: UnKnown
Address 127.0.0.1

*** UnKnown can't find ipconfig/flushdns: No response from server

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Run the Network Setup Wizard:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option Other, and then press Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects directly to the Internet. I do not have a Network yet, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Jimmy's Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter a Workgroup Name -- or leave it as it's default, and then press Next.
  • Select the option Turn off file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next.
----------------

Disable IPv6:
  • Select Start
  • In the Run. In the field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Local Area Connection and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.
Restart your machine and then try to connect to the Internet; can you?

-----------------
  • Start > Run in the field type eventvwr and press the ENTER key
  • In the new window, expand Windows Logs and then select System -- this will display a list of all system events. Look for any errors and/or warnings (denoted by a red 'x' or a yellow '!'). If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.
    *Note: You'll mainly be looking for DHCP and TCP/IP errors/warnings -- however any and all errors may be relevant.

(credit to Dan from GeeksToGo)

mjoseph

mjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry. I was traveling for work and not able to get around to trying these suggestions until today. I still can't connect.

The Event Viewer shows yellow warnings next to the following items:

Microsoft Fax - Initialization/Termination: The outgoing routing rule is not valid because it cannot find a valid device. The outgoing faxes that use this rule will not be routed. Verify that the targeted device or devices (if routed to a group of devices) is connected and installed correctly, and turned on. If routed to a group, verify that the group is configured correctly. Country/region code: x Area code: x. For more information, see Help and Support Center at: http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp

Microsoft Fax - Initialization/Termination: Fax Service failed to initialize any assigned fax devices (virtual or TAPI). No faxes can be sent or received until a fax device is installed. For more information, see Help and Support Center at: http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp

Userenv - (Category none): Windows saved user COMPUTER registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or Network Service Account. For more information, see Help and Support Center at: http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp

Userenv - (Category none): Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. For more information, see Help and Support Center at: http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp

There is a red error warning by:

JavaQuickStarterService - (Category none): The description for Event ID (1) in Source (JavaQuickStarterService) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to create JQS API server: socket() faile (Socket error 10047)

There were information bubbles by:

SecurityCenter - The Window Security Center Service has started.

iPod Service - The description for Event ID (0) in Source (iPod Service) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description; The following information is part of the event: Service started.

avg8emc - The description for Event ID (1) in Source (avg8emc) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

Intuit Update Service - Service started successfully.

Red x errors under the System Tab were:

Service Control Manager - The following boot-start driver(s) failed to load:
AvgTdiX
nvatabus
nvraid

Service Control Manager - The Automatic Updates service terminated with the following error: An address incompatible with the required protocol was used.

Service Control Manager - The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated with the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Service Control Manager - The IPSEC Services service depends on the following nonexistent service: Tcpip

Service Control Manager - The Bonjour Service service depends on the following nonexistent service: Tcpip

Service Control Manager - The Apple Mobile Device service depends on the following nonexistent service: Tcpip

Service Control Manager - The DNS client service depends on the following nonexistent service: Tcpip

Service Control Manager - The DHCP Client service depends on the following nonexistent service: Tcpip

NetBT - Initialization failed because the driver could not be created.

Yellow warning by:

W32Time - The time service is unable to register for network configuration change events. This may occur when TCP/IP is not correctly configured. The time service will be unable to cync time from network providers, but will still use locally installed hardware providers, if any are available.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey mjoseph,

Can you get an Internet connection while in Safe Mode with Networking?

Step 1 - Restart your machine in Safe Mode with Networking:
Please restart the problematic machine in Safe Mode with Networking and then see if you can get an Internet connection; can you?
*Note: You will not be able to use a wireless connection while in Safe Mode; please ensure all tests are performed with a wired (Ethernet) connection.

Please also post the results of a connectivity test.

Step 2 - Connectivity test:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Thanks Dan for stepping in. :)