Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New HD help - how to install?

• Please log in to reply

ovey

ovey

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Requesting help, but first some background.

I have an HP desktop. I've backed-up all my data and wish to return the pc to factory settings. My existing drive has a partition with all of the PC System Recovery tools and applications, but I'm getting fatal system errors when I attempt the system restore app. I've created a recovery tools CD, but that doesn't work either. I believe it may be due to some hard disk errors, so I've purchased a new one.

Question:
How do I transfer the recovery partition to the new drive? Do I set new drive up as an external then partition it and then copy files? What then? Basically, can anyone lay out the steps I need to take to transfer partitioned recovery files onto new drive, then actually do a system restore on new drive to factory settings along with the OS and other applications? Do I even need to xfer the files or can I "restore" the new drive from the old one's partition?

Thank you for your assistance!

Edited by ovey, 31 May 2009 - 05:54 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you've made the recovery CDs you don't need the recovery partition. All those CDs do is copy the data from the recovery partition to the disk. Therefore you should be able to simply use the CDs on a new hard drive providing that that is the only thing you've replaced - the disks don't work if you change the motherboard, for example.