2. Virus scan and spybot scan goes and finds nothing
3. Attempt to download microsoft live one care fails
4. Tried other "virus scanners" - some never stop running after 6 hours - and never access the disk drive after initial load of program.
5. Nothing apparent in windows task manager of "processes"
6. Trend Micro's "Hihack this" never completes - hangs.
7. "Safe mode" yields same results as 1-6
8. Used pebuilder and was able to boot - but not sure what I can run in the command mode that is on the hard drive.
Qu. How can I run in command mode the virus (AVG8) that's on the hard drive using pebuilder?
Qu. Is it possible the boot rom is infected?
Qu. What can I check in the Registry using pebuilder?
Tech Level of writer - retired computer programmer and circuit designer (age 74) - don't assume I know everything - I won't be offended - but I'm great at following directions and have a lot of savy to draw on.