Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop freezes after booting

• Please log in to reply

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I recently had to reinstall windows in my dell latitude d630. Everything was fine for about a day. Now when I turn the computer on it will boot normally and all programs will function normally for a few minutes then the computer just freezes no matter what you are doing. I tried doing a system restore back to the other day when it was working fine but that did not seem to help. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Amanda

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hi there camandkarmasmom,

Try starting the laptop in safe mode. Hold or press F8 as the computer is starting up. Safe mode will load only the bare minimum of drivers and programs, but you can use it for some initial troubleshooting.

-Jason

Edit: Haha, sorry edge, beat you to it :) Jokes~

Edited by OpenOutcome, 31 May 2009 - 08:53 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Does this happen in safe mode?

Cross posted. :)

Edited by edge2022, 31 May 2009 - 08:49 PM.

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Everything appears to work fine in safe mode.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What was used to reinstall Windows?
All drivers reinstalled?
No errors in Device Manager?

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The cd's that came with the laptop were used to reinstall. A friend did it for me and he says all drivers were reinstalled - it wasworking just fine for him the few days he had it and for me when I first got it back. No yellow exclamation points in device manager. Computer is still freezing up.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
What programs have you installed on it from the time after OS was reinstalled - until the freeze problem? Maybe you could use System Restore? Could definitely be malware problems. You should run some scans - in safe mode is your only choice im guessing - and if you find anything, move to the malware removal forum.

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I tried system restore and it did not help. I believe the only things I installed are AVG antivirus and firefox. What sort of scans need to be run?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
You can use this guide posted in the malware forum. It has all the links to programs that you can use to rid yourself of malware, on your own. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will work well. As before, if you find a viral infection, and can't fix it yourself, make sure you move to that forum.

Best regards,
-Jason

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I was not able to access the internet from the laptop in safe mode the other day so I am not sure how to download the programs to the laptop

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
There should be an option under Safe mode, called Safe Mode with Networking. That will enable you internet access. Other options are: Burning programs to a cd, usb flash drive, or an old floppy drive.

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
okay. I will give it a try. thanks for your help

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Your welcome. Keep us posted, and if you resolve the manner, be sure to tell us. Another person might read your solution and be able to fix their similar problem on their own.

Good luck once again!

-Jason

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Uninstall AVG using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/download-tools, and see, if the problem persist.

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
How can I tell if I need the 32 or 64 bit remover?