Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC/Internet relations problem

• Please log in to reply

Mrco

Mrco

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
This has been a very common problem with my computer/internet, and I'm finally fed up with it, put with this behavior for at least 1 and a half years now. What happens, typically speaking, is there are some web pages that will not load, and others, that will. This as far as I know, is random. It is never certain whether or not the site I'm about to load, will actually show up. Otherwise, I'll get a "Page Load Error" from Firefox (version 3). It's not Firefox either, I've tried the latest version of Internet Explorer and previous versions of both. I had a [bleep] of a time actually getting to THIS site, to post my problem.

I'm using Microsoft XP Home Edition 5.1, AMD Sempron 3000+. My internet provider is Qwest Broadband, although I highly suspect my computer being the trouble. I have isolated it, since two other computers have hooked up to it's wireless, and they work absolutely charming. However, I'm NOT using wireless. I still believe it is my computer, as: Within the first 2 or even 5 minutes of a restart or bootup, it will load everything I put into it. After this time it will slowly degrade. After leaving the computer on for 20+ hours, nothing will load.

There is one more factor; About every 3 months if I don't turn the modem off (Ever, not even for a quick reset), the internet will then work and load every page I command it to regardless of how long the computer has been on. This 'behavior' turns off again in about 3 months, or if I turn off/reset the modem. This clarifies that computers have separate minds. {For reference, sites like Youtube and Google are the first to go; and Imeem and MSN are last}

I'm moderately experienced with computers, but this one absolutely stumps me and my pals. I'll appreciate any help, but especially to who solves this.

Advertisements

Mrco

Mrco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hate to double post, but I posted it at night, and I'm guessing nobody is on the forum at night.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Disconnect one of the other two computers, that work with the wireless, and connect to the router with the cable. If the problem persists try to reset the router (not just switch off. Usually this is done by pressing a sharp object to the pinhole at the back of the router. press for about 30 seconds or till the led indicators blink. reload the required data). If the problem persist then the router or the cable, are faulty.

If the problem disappears with the laptop but shows again when you reconnect your problematic computer then something is wrong with it, either the etherenet card, security settings or something that is related to windows. Download and run the tcp/ip and winsock fixes from my list below.

My feeling is that the problem is hardware related.

Mrco

Mrco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The laptops needing to be hooked up to the Ethernet was not possible. They did not have the required slots for a PCI connection. Instead, I tested the normal computer on wireless, and worked considerably well. Thanks Skeptic.

I can't believe I've been fussing about a broken internet for years, and this was the solution!!