Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

so-called antivirus

• Please log in to reply

countryboy32

countryboy32

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello Everyone
I have a problem similar to alot of posts dealing with the system restore. Also my C drive doesnt show up on my device manager and a whole host of other odd symptoms that I cant think of offhand.
It started with a system scan done by some sort of antivirus that I dont even remember downloading. It said I had a bunch of viruses and etc and needed to purchase to fix the pblms. I didnt purchase and it has led to these problems. I have tried a bunch of different things that have seemed to slow down the problems but not completely fix whatever is wrong. I have given up on trying to fix it myself since i really dont know what i am doing and my "IT" department has no clue and no motivation to look further into it. They just want me to use a different computer (easy fix for them and days of downloading programs and files and etc. to make the new computer able to do what my computer now can do). I would really appreciate help on this one. Let me know if you need me to run something and send an output file or whatever else may be needed to diagnose/fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
It appears you are dealing with an infection. I advise you go to our Malware Removal section HERE and read the stickies, especially this one. These stickies will help you remove around 70% of malware infections. If you still have problems, post a thread in that forum and a certified helper will provide assistance with removal. Once you get an all clear from the malware forum, if all of your problems haven't been resolved, post back here and someone will help you.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 01 June 2009 - 08:39 AM.

countryboy32

countryboy32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
will do, ill let you know how it goes. thanks for the help

countryboy32

countryboy32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
That was a well written up instruction set.

I dont know the name of the virus so I cant put it in the title. Also Im not sure if this needs to be moved to the Virus,Spyware, and Trojan removal section.

Here are the details of my Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide

-ran TFC: prompted me to reboot

-System restore point: got an error "Restore Point Creation failed" but then it said that it was successful. I tried to do a restore from system tools but was unsucessful

-ERUNT: check

-mbam.setup.exe: when i double clicked it nothing happened but i could see its process running in my task manager. I ended the process and renamed it mbam2.setup.exe and it worked, took a while and when done it prompted me to reboot becuase it could not remove some
-updated McAfee and scanned C drive. it took hours but i cleaned all.

-i tried the link for the update and it kept going nonresponding so i used the one on my start menu, which seemed to lock up too but i left it and it eventually came up. i did the recomended check and it said that SP3 was available but i did not download it as the Rockwell/AllenBradley people said that their software was not compatible with SP3. It also said something like that I had hidden some updates and so I clicked to restore and it said none were available. Down in the bottom right of my computer i have the yellow shield with ! for KB954430 but when I try to download / install it acts like it is working but then pops back up saying that i need to install the same update.

-Rootkit: got an error "Windows - No Disk" "Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c" and it kept coming up when i clicked on "try again" so i clicked on continue and it seemed to finish. I ddint do a fix or clean and got a txt file:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you please post your logs in the Malware Forum. where someone will be along to help you Thank you :)

countryboy32

countryboy32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
moved to malware forum. thanks