Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP frozen - cannot start Windows (Bootcamp install on MAC)

• Please log in to reply

silvermine

silvermine

• PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
XP is installed on my MAC machine using Bootcamp. Today I was beginning to play a trial download game from a trustworthy site.
The game downloaded fine. When I first started to play, it stopped after about a
minute. Trying again, I played about five minutes and then the screen went black. The only thing I could do was force quit by holding power button down.
I rebooted and got this message immediately - (Windows did not start.)
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Windows root>\system32\hal.dll Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

I put the XP install CD in but nothing happened. Forced quit again.
I have tried rebooting with no change. Neither mouse nor keyboard will work. I was going to just uninstall the XP and reinstall it, but if it can be repaired, that would be great. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Is your disk drive correctly put in the priority boot device menu in BIOS? Can you get into safe mode? Try running chkdsk /r if you can get to a command prompt, either by safe mode with command prompt, or regular safe mode.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Is your disk drive correctly put in the priority boot device menu in BIOS?

I'm sorry, I don't know what that means. I am on a black screen with the warning in the upper left corner. I can do nothing except force quit by holding the power button down. I tried putting the Windows install CD in with no change.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
sorry double posted. :)

Edited by silvermine, 01 June 2009 - 12:11 PM.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
So from turning on the PC what happens exactly? Do you see any logo screen at all or it is just automatically black? Try holding F1 down from the very startup, as that is the most common button to get into the BIOS setup.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Tried again using the F1 key, goes directly to the black screen previously described.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
And F8?

(Wow my shortest post ever! :) )

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Yes, success :) Go to safe mode?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Nice! :) Yes, try regular safemode, and if that doesn't work try safe mode with command prompt. Right now the goal is to get to a command prompt screen to do a disk check.
If you get to regular safe mode : Start > Run > CMD

Then type: chkdsk /r (note the space)

If it finds the hal.dll error (fingers crossed) it will probably prompt you to run chkdsk /f (fix).

Keep me posted! :)

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Unfortunately, when I click on the Windows choice,(both ways) it gives me the same black screen described previously. :)

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
And the last two choices do nothing? Safe mode with networking and last good configuration?

If that's the case, we need to boot the disk. Since the disk won't boot automatically it might not be configured to boot. We have to : correctly put the CD/DVD drive as the priority boot device in BIOS. That's what I meant before. If I only knew the key to press. On windows it's usually F1 or F2 to get into setup. If this was originally a Mac it could be different. I've seen it also be the "del" key and the "esc" key. We want to get into setup, so test around with keys (mostly the F1 through F12) and see if you can get any more screens to come up.

:)

What does the error in the corner say at the black screen?

Edited by OpenOutcome, 01 June 2009 - 01:25 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Hold down the C key while booting will boot to CD.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Ah - learn something new everyday. :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I had to double check actually, didnt remember if it was C or D :)

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Ok, the other 2 choices produced the same result.

Trying to boot from the disc -

On a Windows install on a MAC machine, at start up it gives you 2 options as to which system you want to use. (windows or MAC.)
With the disc in, it offered 3 choices, third being the disc. (I got really excited).
I tried this choice numerous times and it would either bring up that dreaded black screen, eject the CD, or just sit there and do nothing.
I also tried all the F keys with no result.

I am concerned that all these shutting down(s) with the power button will harm my MAC laptop. What do you think about that? :)

Edited by silvermine, 01 June 2009 - 02:02 PM.