Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP frozen - cannot start Windows (Bootcamp install on MAC)

• Please log in to reply

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
The black screen says this:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Windows root>\system32\hal.dll Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

I'll try the C key next - just noticed the new guy's post!
edit - no luck with that either.

Edited by silvermine, 01 June 2009 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

I am concerned that all these shutting down(s) with the power button will harm my MAC laptop. What do you think about that?

Normally I would say yes, because shutting down the normal way allows software programs to shut down safely as well, and just pushing the power button forces them, possibly resulting in data loss or damage. BUT.. no software is loaded! Not even windows! So it can't be too bad.

Currently I am pondering my brain..

Try this site http://michaelsteven...anufacturer.htm and try to find that setup code.

What brand is your motherboard?

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Try this site http://michaelsteven...anufacturer.htm and try to find that setup code.

What brand is your motherboard?

I can't find an answer to either of these questions. Is ATA the motherboard? The website does not list any Macs so I haven't a clue.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
BRB - got to get something to eat......

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Um, ATX is the type but not the brand. Check the bottom of the laptop for more info. ARGH, my brain is pondering on..

Edited by OpenOutcome, 01 June 2009 - 02:43 PM.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Bottom of the laptop tells me nothing....

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
I'll get back to you tomorrow on this? I've got a lot of homework to do. Sorry I haven't been of much help thus far.

AGH

Edited by OpenOutcome, 01 June 2009 - 02:48 PM.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
OK thanks for your help.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hey again,
Just thought of something.. Can you choose the MAC option, without it going to that black error screen..?

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Yes!! I think you might be a genius.....you're planning to get in thru the back door......lol
Ordinarily, booting the machine to Mac does not require a choice - it's set up to open in Mac automatically unless you press "option" and choose Windows. I just pressed option and chose Mac with no problem. Fortunately the Mac side seems unaffected.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Ah ok good.. for a minute I thought we were totally stuck as NO options would work. That would pretty much suck eh? Haha..

Ok sooooo.

When your on the MAC side, and (sorry I'm unfamiliar with macs..) the My Computer section, can you see the windows os section that has been partitioned? If you can, and you should find it somewhere.. try to navigate to the .dll of problem 'hal.dll'. It should be in (drive letter):/windows/system32

We can just replace it, and that might solve your problems. The download link is here, and you might just be able to move the original dll somewhere else. DO NOT DELETE IT, maybe just move it somewhere we can find it again.. if it screws up.

Hmm, keep me posted :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I think all that needs to be done is to reinstall the hal.dll file. This is the Windows HAL file (Hardware Abstraction Layer)

Click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig, and burn a copy of the Recovery Console. Boot from that disc.
Then click on "Repair Common Windows Startup Problems" in my sig, and follow the steps using the CD you burner earlier.

Sometimes, when you hard boot your computer, a file will get lost or corrupted, as is probably the case here.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

I think all that needs to be done is to reinstall the hal.dll file. This is the Windows HAL file (Hardware Abstraction Layer)

Click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig, and burn a copy of the Recovery Console. Boot from that disc.
Then click on "Repair Common Windows Startup Problems" in my sig, and follow the steps using the CD you burner earlier.

Sometimes, when you hard boot your computer, a file will get lost or corrupted, as is probably the case here.

Whoa - this appears way too scary to me....I don't even see where to copy the recovery console..

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It's very easy if you take it one step at a time.
Here is the 1st link: http://sites.google....-console-for-xp
Follow that guide, and make the CD.

Then follow this guide: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp
Instead of using the Windows XP CD, use the CD that you burned earlier.

If you have any questions specific to the steps to take, feel free to ask them.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

When your on the MAC side, and (sorry I'm unfamiliar with macs..) the My Computer section, can you see the windows os section that has been partitioned? If you can, and you should find it somewhere.. try to navigate to the .dll of problem 'hal.dll'. It should be in (drive letter):/windows/system32

We can just replace it, and that might solve your problems. The download link is here, and you might just be able to move the original dll somewhere else. DO NOT DELETE IT, maybe just move it somewhere we can find it again.. if it screws up.

Hmm, keep me posted :)

Ok, I found the hal.dll but it was only a read file. This is just a short example of what it looked like:

edit - it didn't paste, not sure why.

Edited by silvermine, 01 June 2009 - 08:10 PM.