Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Language - French symbols

• Please log in to reply

Ernie1

Ernie1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My daughter has a IBM T30 and asked me about French symbols. She does a lot of work in French class and there are certain symbols used in French like the ' over the e which can go either direction depending on the usage. Is there a program to convert keyboard strokes to French or is it a setting in the computer?

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello ernie1,
The are a lot of codes to type french symbols. Check this page out http://french.about....typeaccents.htm

For example, assuming she uses windows (you said she has and IBM so most likely)- to type the accented e, Open Wordpad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Wordpad). Then hold down ctrl and press the apostrophe symbol. (Ctrl + ') then let go and type the letter e. If it's a capitol use shift + e as you normally would.

The annoying thing with this method is it only works with some programs, like Wordpad or Microsoft Office. To type it on an email for example, I would have to type out my message on wordpad, and then copy and paste it to the email.

ÉáÁíÍóÓúÜ

Pretty sure there are some programs that do it for you. I'll look around and keep you posted.

Hope this helps!

-Jason

jenny d

jenny d

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't know what software is available on that particular thinkpad, but if you're using microsoft office, to get the accent to flick up to the right, hold down Ctrl and '(apostrophe), and then the letter you want it on (aka, e), for a flick up to the left, its Ctrl and ` (top left button of keypad, also ¬ and |), and then the letter you want it on (aka, e). There are loads of others, including the hat that is also used in French in the symbols menu (Insert, then Symbol...). Scroll down and click on the symbol you want to use, and just above and to the left of the insert button at the bottom, the shortcut key sequence is shown, or if there isn't a shortcut assigned, you can create your own.

Hope that helps!

jenny d

Ernie1

Ernie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much Jason. Your suggestion works great with the ctrl key but I've been to that website and she talks of the alt key and that doesn't work for me at all, even with the number lock key activated. Where did you find the key or chart for the symbols using ctrl key? She also talks of an international keyboard..says go to link below but there is no link below for going to a download for an international keyboard. Is it her or is it me? I'm not an IT person and do the best I can understanding this stuff but sometimes it's hard to follow. Thanks again for any help.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hey again -
Hmm, the alt symbols should work.. They actually work here, as I'm posting this message, so you wouldn't have to copy and paste from something else. This is the chart I'd use. You just hold down alt, and then press the four number sequence. Alt is held down the entire sequence, and once you let go of alt it will display your character.

Accent Grave
à 0224
À 0192
è 0232
È 0200
ù 0249
Ù 0217

Accent Aigu

é 0233
É 0201

Accent Circonflexe

â 0226
ê 0234
Ê 0202
î 0238
Î 0206
ô 0244
Ô 0212
û 0251
Û 0219

Tréma

ë 0235
Ë 0203
ï 0239
Ï 0207
ü 0252
Ü 0220

Cédille

ç 0231
Ç 0199

Guillemets

Ah, FYI. The alt + numbers only works with a number pad. Not the number line above the letters. Some keyboards don't have a square number pad on the right. If yours does, those are the alt + numbers to use.

Another option -
Navigate through to : Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map

This will have a ENORMOUS list of characters, including those french ones. To add one when your writing, double click the character, or multiple ones, then copy it with the button or ctrl + c. Paste it to your document or email.

Another option -
This one could be tricky. Just testing here, but if you wanted, you could make your keyboard layout as of a french one. Your keyboard wouldn't say the correct things, so you'd have to memorize it...(or a little permanent marker..)

To try this navigate to:
Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards and language tab > Change keyboards. (Could be a little different - I'm on vista, don't know what OS your on..)

Add a new keyboard - (I chose French (Canada) > Keyboard > Canadian French, there are loads to choose from) when checked and added, underneath where it says Default input language, the dropdown menu will have added whichever one you chose. A little option came up on the taskbar - Don`t know if it will on whichever operating system you are on. Now, my forward slash key is é and .. looks like that`s it. Maybe the regular french board type is better.

To look at the keyboard layout, back at the keyboard setup, you can double click the keyboard you chose on the tree.

Hm, that option is a little confusing..

If you have any more questions, don`t be afraid to ask. I`m learning new things here as well :)

-Jason

Edited by OpenOutcome, 02 June 2009 - 05:16 PM.