Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Retrieve data off corrupted zipped CD?

• Please log in to reply

nikonking

nikonking

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

A couple years ago, I password protected a CD via the security function of WinZip. Well now I need access to those files and I believe the CD is corrupted.

When I pop the CD into my machine, the computer recognizes the disk, and can even show me the directories that I have in there. It also shows the right amount of data used on the CD (i.e. the folders arent empty). But when I attempt to unzip the files, or pull them onto my desktop, the computer will time out or give me an error message indicating a corrupt disk.

Any thoughts on how I can access the data? I don't care if I have to lose some of the files - there are are a few specific files that I'm looking for. Any tools I can use to "bust into" these files?

Thanks for your help!!!

-Ron

Advertisements

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...what version of WinZip did you use to make the CD? Are you using the same version or an updated version to unzip it? (Perhaps there is a compatibility issue between WinZip versions)...also, did you use the password when trying to unzip it? (Bear in mind that anything involving a password is a very touchy subject around here...)
...It is highly unlikely that WinZip corrupted the disk; it is a pretty reliable program with a long track record. But there does exist the remote possibility that something did in fact happen to the disk--or the disk had a defect to begin with--and a critical bit of data got corrupted; some recordable CDs are not as good as others and have been known to lose data over time...also, are there any scratches or fingerprints on the disk? You'll be surprised how much havoc an innocuous-looking fingerprint will wreak with anything trying to read a CD...Did you test the disk right after you burned it to make sure you could access it? (I've long been in the habit of testing a disk after I burned it to make sure it burned OK, that what I put on the disk was actually on it, and that I could actually open it.)
...And there are other programs that can work with .zip files besides WinZip; perhaps you can try one of those...some of them are freeware...

Edited by ZedU54, 01 June 2009 - 06:55 PM.

nikonking

nikonking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this serious issue.

A couple years ago, I saved hundreds of important image files on 3 different CDs. I then used winzip to compress and password protect them. Unfortunately, when I now attempt to access the files, I receive an error message saying that the files are inaccessible. Here's the thing - my computer sees the directories, and the files they contain. I just can't open them or move them.

Is there any way for me to get at these files. I don't care if I need to lose some of what's on there to get the rest. Are there tools or processes available for me to "break into" these CDs?

Thanks for your help!!

-Ron

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try either 7zip or Winrar