Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error msg: hkcmd.exe - Entry Point Not Found

• Please log in to reply

lucky-g

lucky-g

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi guys,

I had a malware problem that has been resolved by the team at geekstogo and had been directed to this forum to hopefully get some help on an issue that developed during that process.

1. This is what I am experiencing: when I reboot my system, I get this error message:

"hkcmd.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point LoadSTRINGFrom HKCU could not be
located in the dynamic link library hccutils.DLL"

I got this after i had reinstalled the hccutils.DLL file that probably was deleted during the malware cleanup process.

An interesting find: I checked the properties of the hccutils.DLL file i downloaded and found that the info in the security tab concerning "full control" etc. is greyed out. I compared this to other DLL files in the system32 folder and noticed that those had bold black check marks in the same areas.

2. Another thing is that in the details tab, the hccutils.DLL, the product name is Intel® Common User Interface whereas those other DLLs i checked say Microsoft Windows Operating System.

3. The icon in the control panel for the Intel® GMA driver for Mobile is a blank page. It never was like that. I believe it was a blue square looking icon.

4. I stopped the "hkcmd.exe" from loaded at startup and the error message does not appear any longer.

I'm using vista sp1 home premium edition.

Thank you

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Argh! Everybody is saying this link will solve your problem. It is unfortunate however, that the page has been renamed, moved or is no longer available...

I'll keep looking for you. :)

-Jason

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Can you post the make & model of your computer?

Edited by Ectech, 01 June 2009 - 08:51 PM.

lucky-g

lucky-g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi OpenOutcome & Ectech,

Thanks for the replies. Here you go Etech: sony vaio vgn-n385e/w

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
First, remove any Intel software installed using this - http://www.revouninstaller.com

make sure to choose the advanced cleanup. that should clear any extra files & registry entries

Next, reinstall this... http://esupport.sony...l...33&os_id=28

Edited by Ectech, 01 June 2009 - 09:20 PM.

lucky-g

lucky-g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi Ectech,

After I posted my last reply, i went to sony's website and downloaded installed that update. I did not remove any Intel software. It appears that the error message at startup and icon issue in the control panel have been resolved. But if you advise that it would be better to remove then install that update, let me know. Thanks.