Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound from speakers

• Please log in to reply

NoSound

NoSound

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello:

Whew, here we go. I was on another forum where the Tech removed all malware from my computer. All along I've had no sound from my speakers since the malware infected my computer. Speakers are good.
When I open Device Manager, there is a yellow exclamation point on Multimedia Audio Controller. This catagory expanded from "other devices" catagory. There are no yellow marks anywhere in the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" section.
I can't open the volume control in accessories. I get an error that says" there are no active mixers available". When I try to install the active mixers from the wizzard, it comes back with a message that it can't find the drivers.
I went to the eMachines website and downloaded the motherboard drivers chipset and the Realtek audio drivers and still no sound.
Here's some info about my computer:
Make: eMachines
Model: D3123
Operating system: Windows XP
Age of Computer: About 6 years old
Free space: 65GB
Sound card: Realtek AC'97. Came originally with computer.
Please HELP. Goin crazy here.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and download the Realtek AC97 Audio Driver also you may want to get the Motherboard Driver Package for the chipset in case the first one does not work.
Let me know how this works for you. :)

NoSound

NoSound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi rshaffer61:

I downloaded both items and still no sound.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try rebooting and going into the BIOS\CMOS
Do this by tapping DEL at the first post screen.
Go to the advanced area and look for on board peripherals
Make sure the onboard or integrated sound is enabled
when finished press F10 to Save and Exit
Click Y to verify Save and Exit

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 June 2009 - 03:55 AM.

NoSound

NoSound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
rshaffer61:

I got into the BIOS but the heading was slightly different than on board peripherals. Under Integrated Peripherals, the only thing related to sound was set like this:

AC97 Audio [Auto]

NoSound

NoSound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
rshaffer61:

Still with me?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

rshaffer61:

I got into the BIOS but the heading was slightly different than on board peripherals. Under Integrated Peripherals, the only thing related to sound was set like this:

AC97 Audio [Auto]

This would be one of the same.

Go to Device Manager
Right click on the Audio controller and uninstall it.
Reboot and let windows install it again. It may just be a corrupt driver since the malware problem. Let me know how this works for you. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 June 2009 - 08:05 AM.

NoSound

NoSound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
rshaffer61:

I uninstalled the audio driver and rebooted the system. A window popped up saying that Windows found new hardware. Then I had the wizzard automatically download the driver, but I got a message that said the wizzard could not find the drivers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There should have been a option to look in a specified place for the driver. You may have to tell it where you downloaded the driver.

NoSound

NoSound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sounds good, I'll try that

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok I'll wait for your result.

NoSound

NoSound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
rshaffer61:

I uninstalled again and tried to look in a specified place, but there were no selections to go to the emachines website where the drivers are. I don't recall getting a CD for the Multimedia Audio Controller when I bought this computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will be on the installation cd or the drivers cd that should have come with your emachine when you bought it brand new.
I thought you had downloaded the drivers i suggested in post #2 ?
Do you have the drivers disk for your emachine? If not what model is it and I'll see if I can find it for you.

NoSound

NoSound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
rshaffer61:

I did download the drivers from the eMachines website, but that didn't make a difference. I don't have any disks that came with this computer. Since i moved, they can be anywhere. my computer model# is D3123.
Thanks for your patience and help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it sounds like your onboard audio has died then. The chipset driver and the AC97 realtek driver should have fixed the problem.
I would suggest buying a new sound card and trying that.