Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway wont turn on (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

mothmansound

mothmansound

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The computer wont power up and the blue light start button is not on.

I blew out any dust and when plugged in the green light beside the ram slots is on. If I press the on button the fans act as if they are going to start but do not make a single revolution and stop. Nothing but the green light.

Never had a problem before, any thoughts?

thanks

Edited by mothmansound, 04 June 2009 - 12:00 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a faulty PSU or Motherboard.
I would suggest the PSU first and foremost. Look at the back of the system and turn the system on. Does the fan in the PSU keep turning or not?

mothmansound

mothmansound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope all the fans just wiggle a little then nothing. I do have another PSU from another older computer but I think some of the connections are different.

Are PSU's universal? Thanks a lot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually no they are not. The newer PSU's and MOBO's do have different power connections to them. You can check the power connector from the PSU to the MOBo and make sure they are the same. After that everything else is normally universal.

mothmansound

mothmansound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok then. I have seen some info how to test a PSU.

I really don't have the time however to spend trouble shooting and the PC is my TV computer.

Is it worth taking the thing to geeksquad and have them do the diagnosis then repair myself?

Thanks for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is probably the best to do since you don't have the time to do it yourself. I'm sure from your description it is going to be one of the two problems.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 June 2009 - 08:16 PM.

mothmansound

mothmansound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I should have known better.

I took the box to geek squad and a guy checked the PSU, it was fine and didn't charge me. They told me it's probably the mother board and I bit. I picked a new bare bones took it home and started to swap a few things.
As soon as I pulled the video card I was pissed at myself. The fan on the video card seemed stuck. I know better from this as I like to work on old motorcycles. Always check moving parts, always.
I pulled the card and my old box worked just fine. Now I just get a new vid card and I am all set.

Now when I was looking up why my box didn't start and looking inside something didn't set well. I know that diagnosis is simple most times when thought out. Why didn't I check the little fans? Cause the information i found was PSU, switch, finally board.

Do yourself a favor and stick your finger in there and see if things move.

Two things I have learned, again. Be cool with your peeps when they try to help. Second trust yourself. If I would have just tinkered moreI would have saved a lot of my time.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Cheers all,

D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

mothmansound

mothmansound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh, can anyone recommend a good card? Not any gaming it's just a theater computer with DVI to hdmi as I already have optical for sound. I have no desire to invest in high dollar cables. My setup works fine the way it is.

Cheers

mothmansound

mothmansound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks RS, your quick man.

Good stuff.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you. What is the main use of the system? That will dictate what kind of card we would recommend for you.
Gaming
Office
Internet
Business

mothmansound

mothmansound

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Cool,

Dude i use it for a TV/ theater computer.

I have no cable and use UHF for primetime stuff. We mostly record some shows, and stream stuff from netflicks and hulu.

I might play a flash game from time to time but thats about it.

We do listen to a lot of music, about 200 gigs I think. We love tunes.

Just lookin for something solid is all I suppose.

best regards,

D\

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is your budget for a new card going to be?
Per a suggestion from a fellow Tech member he has provided this card HERE

Let me know what you think.