Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Build Blueprint

• Please log in to reply

JGK89

JGK89

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So my motherboard crashed, and i am rebuilding a new comp for gaming basically. This is what i have come up with:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128372

Processor: Intel Pentium E5400 Wolfdale 2.7GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116076

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231226

To my knowledge, this setup will work correct?

Also, recommendations on a power supply and optical drive?

I already have a WD Raptor harddrive, hoping this works with this setup? I just like having people who are better with computers opinions on this setup. Also will be running an old school Geforce 7600 graphics card as i dont have the funds to upgrade that just yet. Any thoughts on whole setup are appreciated.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi JGK89, Welcome to Geekstogo!

The motherboard you picked out seems nice thus far, but it does not match up with the E5400 Wolfdale you have picked out. The motherboard requires at least a Core 2 Duo with a FSB of 1333mhz. You picked out a Dual-Core with a FSB of 800mhz. Dual-Core is a step down from the Core 2 Duo, confusing right? :)
As per the mobo's specs tab...

CPU Type Core 2 Quad / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo
FSB 1600/1333MHz

E5400 specs tab...

FSB 800MHz

What I really need to know is your budget. If you will be gaming(games you are wanting to play will help me out too) then I would suggest at least a Core 2 Duo, if not Core 2 Quad. Just depends at what you are looking to spend.

Let me know this information I requested, and we can make some progress from there. :)

JGK89

JGK89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks for your reply. Im trying to spend around $300-350 for my whole motherboard, processor etc. setup. The Wolfdale is around 90 bucks, so im hoping to stay around that range, but i like the Intel motherboards so i wouldnt wanna find another one in that sense. I already have the case and graphics card, since it was just my motherboard went down. I do intend this to be strictly a gaming computer. As of now i just play the usual fps such as Counter-strike and COD4. I do plan on playing COD Modern Warfare 2, but i havent checked the specs on that. What would you recommend for a processor tho? I dont have any experience building my own comp so your input is very appreciated.

JGK89

JGK89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
haha actually i was looking at motherboards, anything that can make my budget thats an intel would be great. I would go AMD if the price is right and is good for gaming. Like i said, im pretty much a noob when it comes to making comps so all suggestions are appreciated.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
This is a pretty nice setup for $385.

Gigabyte Mobo
Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33Ghz
2x2 (4GB) G. Skill RAM (Same)
400Watt Corsair Power Supply
LG DVD/CD Burner (SATA)

If that is too much money, I have something in mind that has processor with a FSB of 1066 instead of 1333(higher is better), using a Core 2 Duo 7XXX series or so. I'd rather start higher and work backwards, ya know?

Your raptor will work, and is a nice hard drive. Don't let that Corsair PSU 400Watt fool ya, it is extremely stable(80 plus certified) and has a nice 30amp 12volt rail. It's not always about the watts per say. The LG burner is very nice, the best I think. Gigabyte Mobos rock! G. Skill is a good brand to go with.

Let me know what you think :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Not that it seems to matter anymore, but the E5400 will work just fine on that GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard, it's in the CPU support list:

http://www.gigabyte....?ProductID=2952

Just for Ferrari's information - research!

Now carry on... :)

(Oh and Ferrari's last post looks quite nice)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Just for Ferrari's information - research!

Yeah, ummm... :) Didn't go to Gigabyte's website, just going off of what Newegg's specs say. Whooops! I will surely keep that in mind in the future.

(Oh and Ferrari's last post looks quite nice)

Thank you Sir :)

JGK89

JGK89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes that setup is well within my price range, considering i was including power supply, optical drive, or RAM in that price. Would an Invidia Geforce 7600GS graphics card work with this setup? Also, I have a Powork PW-600 power supply from my old rig, could I use this on this setup, or is the power supply you recommended better for my needs. Other than that, as long as this setup is good for gaming I think I would actually go with this setup. I appreciate keeping all the products on newegg too haha. I love newegg.

Edited by JGK89, 02 June 2009 - 01:19 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think that Powork PSU is not the best I have seen, that is for sure. It's price tag of around $30 or less worries me. It has one 24amp 12volt rail(less than the corsair) and it is NOT 80 plus certified. If you can afford it, I say upgrade your power supply to the Corsair.

as long as this setup is good for gaming I think I would actually go with this setup.

It is a very good set up for gaming. Much better than the E5400 setup. The Core 2 Quad actually has 4 Cores, so it's like 4 processors in one which is great for gaming. However, you are in need of a better video card should you be able to afford one.

Might I suggest a 9800 GTX+ ($135) This is a card that is PCI Express x16 2.0. What is your current card by the way? AGP? PCI? PCI Express? The mobo I recommended, and just about any newer mobo will only offer a PCI Express x16 2.0 slot and/or a PCI slot. x16 2.0 is much much better and faster.

We can go up or down in price for the graphics card. Let me know...

JGK89

JGK89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yea my current card is AGP. I didnt plan on getting a new graphics card, so id have to say my price range would be around $100 or less if you know of any good ones.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
How about this 9600GT...
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500090

Or any of these 9600 GT's will be a nice card for the money.

http://www.newegg.co.......rce 9600 GT

JGK89

JGK89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
that actually looks really nice. And a free COD World at War disk with it haha. Also, i dont know if this a dumb question but i can use my Windows XP copy from my last computer on this one right? Ive never built a computer from scratch so do all the hardware im buying come with drivers or anything on discs?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If your Windows XP is a retail version, you can move it over to the new computer. Otherwise, it's OEM and it will be tied to the old machine - you'll have to purchase a new OS.

Edited by Troy, 02 June 2009 - 08:48 PM.

JGK89

JGK89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
how can i tell if its retail or oem?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Did you specifically purchase the retail version, or did the XP come preinstalled on the new machine?

If it was retail, you'd have the fancy box and manual to go along with the disc. If it's OEM, the sticker will be stuck on the case and should say "OEM Software".