Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Build Blueprint

• Please log in to reply

JGK89

JGK89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ah yes i have the OEM version. SO before i go and buy this great setup, is there anything im missing?

Edited by JGK89, 03 June 2009 - 04:47 PM.

Advertisements

JGK89

JGK89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
anyone?

Edited by JGK89, 03 June 2009 - 04:52 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Sorry for the delay, I was building my new computer all day.

JGK89,

I don't know if I agree with you not being able to reuse your OEM version of Windows. I have a buddy that builds and repairs computers for a living (Similar to Troy) and I just asked him about this very same issue when i upgrade my parents computers mobo, hard drive, processor, and RAM. He told me something along the lines of... "Microsoft actually words it something like, you can use windows for 2 CPU's" Apparently, he was getting at that I didn't have to buy a new version of XP for my parents computer. And that was the specific question I asked him when he gave that answer.

I believe I(you) will have to call Microsoft and explain you are upgrading your computer, and according to my very experienced friend, they should be fairly compliant with letting you reuse windows.

Troy, I would really like to see what you have to say about that, you are much more experienced than me.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
The OEM licence is technically tied to the motherboard. If you upgrade the motherboard, you have to get a new version of Windows. This is according to Microsoft licensing law.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
JGK89,

I would say you have two options then.

1. Just go ahead and buy a new version
or
2. Call Microsoft themselves and ask, see what they say.

Go from there.

And of course, don't do anything illegal! :)

JGK89

JGK89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks again for all your help ferrari. You really helped me ut alot. and Troy, thank you for the information you offered as well. I ordered the parts and will address this OS problem when I get it up and running. Thanks again! cya around the boards.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
You could just use Windows 7 RC, it's really good and free for a while. :)