Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing internal hard drive to ASUS M2N-MX SE mobo

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have a hard drive my brother left with me ages ago and I've decided to install it into my system, however I have no idea what to do. I called him and he doesn't know either.

The hard drive in question is a Western Digital WD400 (I think it's 40GB) and it says it's a serial ATA hard drive -- I think that's a SATA drive? I've read on the net there can be complications installing a SATA drive, so I'm hesitant to just plug it in and hope it works.

Do I need to buy any extra cables? This will be the second HD on my motherboard, which is an ASUS M2N-MX SE.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
This picture sums it up nicely. I'm not sure what "complications" there are, you should be able to plug it in and fire it up. You'll obviously need to make sure the drive has the correct data and power cables connected properly. If it's an IDE (otherwise known as PATA), there will also be a jumper that needs to be set. Other than that, when you first boot up after installing it, enter the BIOS to make sure it's recognised and also check that the boot order priority hasn't changed.

Posted Image

Edited by Troy, 02 June 2009 - 05:59 AM.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok so going by the pic it's definitely a SATA drive. The hard drive has no cables with it so I'm assuming I'll have to get some from a supplier like Dick Smith's or Tandy. What will I need to get?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
A SATA data cable. Also make sure your Power Supply has a SATA power cable connector, otherwise you'll need an adapter for that too.

Also make sure you have a spare SATA slot on the motherboard.

Any local computer shop should have the cables as well, although I guess Dick Smith and Tandy would have them also.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks. I'll have a look to see what I've got in terms of connections once I get the cable. How do I know if my power supply has a SATA power cable connector?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
The long, opposite-keyed connector next to it is the power.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Cheers. I'll do some more online research and let you know how I go. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.