Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOLVED: Laptop bios won't see HDD

• Please log in to reply

stealintv

stealintv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all, this is my first post. I recently acquired an IBM Thinkpad i1400 series, model 2621-422 from ebay. The auction listed that it was missing an HDD and power supply; an otherwise complete system. And, of course, the item was sold "as-is".

Now, onto my problem. The BIOS will not find the HDD. I have two (2) working HDDs from other laptops. I thought at first I needed a new HDD caddy/pin connector. Wrong. Down another $10.

I figured I would attempt to repartition and format one of the hard drives and when I reboot with a WinXP disk, the installation program formatted and installed Windows. OK great! Now the system states it will reboot, and did so. Upon reboot, I am left at a screen which displays, "Please instert system disk and press any key..." I again reboot and went into the BIOS setup and to my surprise - no hard disk found. Interesting.

Just out of curiosity, I tried again using the Winxp CD and reboot. Again, this time I got the message about how there is already a copy of Winxp and asking me what i want to do. For some reason, I reformatted and reinstalled. We already know the outcome.....

Any ideas? This laptop was one I was building for someone. I have already purchased another that is working great so the customer is happy and has recieved his product. I am just out some money and was wondering if I can fix this issue. Otherwise it looks like I will be getting a DSLinux LiveCD and using this laptop to surf the net in the garage.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
stealintv

Edited by stealintv, 02 June 2009 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

stealintv

stealintv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, well to my surprise it seems that this system does not like jumpers on the hard drive. Regardless of the instructions on the hard drive, a jumper is not necessary. The scenario was as follows:

As previously stated, I have two hard drives I was testing with this system and only one spare laptop sized jumper. I had switched out the hard drive earlier and forgot to place the jumper on the other hard drive. The computer booted and I heard the disk spinning. I checked in the BIOS and viola! it has been detected. Very strange.

Now I have no idea why this would be as the MASTER and CABLE SELECT options both have a separate area in which the jumper must be placed according to the instructions printed on the face of the HDD. Plus, I have all components removed from this system except RAM.

Problem solved. Don't use a jumper on the hard drive.

Now to sell it....