Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build - Not Powering Up

• Please log in to reply

jacobt

jacobt

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hey everybody,
I just put together a bare bones kit (Specifications below) that I bought online and I'm not able to get it to power up.
I have everything hooked up and ready to go, but when I plug it in and flip the switch--no fans, no POST beeps.
My instinct tells me that it is the power supply, however there is an LED on the system board that lights up when I plug in the power cable, so I think that negates that theory.
I've tried minimal install-just graphics adapter, 1 memory DIMM and the CPU and fan--and it still doesn't power up.
My only theories are
1. Bad power supply.
2. Bad power switch connector or
3. Short in the chassis or
4. Bad motherboard

It's been a while since I've put together a computer so I'm not sure if there is something obvious that I have forgotten. If anybody has any advice that could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

System specs:
Asus M3N78 PRO ATX Motherboard
AMD Phenom X4 9500 2.20GHz Socket AM2+ Retail Processor
OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
Sparkle GeForce 9400 GT Video Card
Sony DRUV200A/BR DVD/CD Rewritable IDE Retail Drive
Ultra LS500 Lifetime Series 500W Power Supply

Also at:
http://www.tigerdire...41-_-components

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The LED that lights up is very pretty but doesn't actually tell you anything.
Try another PSU.
You have plugged in the 12v connector I take it, the 4 pin one that's usually wired yellow and black?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Standoff under the MOBO shorting the system on powerup. Check to make sure only standoffs are where the MOBO has holes to accept them.

jacobt

jacobt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Neil: Yes, I do have the 12v plugged in. Thanks for the advice, though.
rshaffer61: I don't think it could be the standoffs. I pulled the board out of the chassis to be completely sure that nothing was shorting out in the case, and I have the same problem. I have actually tried a different PSU (though, it is only a 450 W) and a different power switch and still no go. Any other ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reseat cpu and memory.
If that doesn't help
i would say DOA MOBO