Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Increase resolution size

• Please log in to reply

ajfunk

ajfunk

• Pip
  • 7 posts
What I would like to do is increase my resolution size from 1024x768. I have options up to 1920x1440 however almost all of them show up as invalid format. I'm currently running two monitors, my primary is an LCD and my secondary is a 17' monitor. For the time being I have my secondary monitor turned off.

As for the formats that do at least show up as not being invalid, the screen doesn't fit all the way on the LCD. For example when switching to one of the resolutions that work without giving invalid format (1280x1024)the bottom left part of the screen doesn't fit into my LCD. If I do move the mouse to that region the screen will shift over almost as if my screen is a web page that you can scroll from top to bottom and left to right.

All I would like to do is increase the resolution on my LCD even if that means giving up a secondary monitor (If that even has anything to do with it.) Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Is it your video card or monitor that supports the higher resolutions?

Your vid card may support it but if your monitor doesn't then you will get the error message.

Murray

ajfunk

ajfunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I'm not exactly sure but I have the option to increase resolution in the display settings. The resolution I'm at right now is not currently the highest listed, but many of the one higher show up as invalid format. Not sure if that answers your question or not, just let me know.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What is the make and model of both the video card and the LCD screen (monitor)?

Murray

ajfunk

ajfunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The video card:
Name: Radeon x600 256MB HyperMemory
Manufacturer: ATI technologies inc.
Chip type: Radeon X600 PRO (0x5B62)

And as for the LCD its LG and the model is 37LC7D

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That is a 37" tv right?

Its top resolution is 1366x768 as per their specs.That is why everything else won't work.

Murray

ajfunk

ajfunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thats correct it is a 37' LCD. However if the top resolution is 1366x768 then why are almost all the resolutions above 1024x768 "invalid format." And also, I set the resolution as close as I could to 1366x768 and I didn't get invalid format, but the left and right side of the screen is to large to view. Again its the same thing if you move the mouse to a hidden region the screen with scroll over. The height does fit perfect with this resolution.

And uhh..after applying my resolution to 1360x768 when I try and switch back to 1024x768 it now reads that as invalid, whats going on!?

Edit: I restored back to my previous resolution. Why would the resolution I was using before turn to invalid format after switching to 1360x768?

Edited by ajfunk, 03 June 2009 - 02:54 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Are the drivers for your vid card up to date?

Murray

ajfunk

ajfunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes they are up to date. Just scanned with DriverScanner and no updates found.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go to the vid card manufacturers website and check there. Never trust those driver checkup programs.

Murray

ajfunk

ajfunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What do you know, the experts surely do know! Basicly that program didn't provide the newest updates for my video drivers. Now when I try and switch to those resolutions that weren't fitting right on the screen, they do fit but the screen needs to just be adjusted a half inch to the right more. Not really sure how to do this on an LCD. Also I was wondering, what is the highest resolution you would recommend me putting my computer on with this LCD? And one last thing, I now have an ATI icon that I can use to set up everything with the video settings. Should I use this icon to set up my resolutions or just right click on the desktop and use properties.

I feel we're getting close, thank you! :)

ajfunk

ajfunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so I was successful in getting my resolution higher (I managed to get it to 1360x768.) Now heres my next issue..Every time I turn the computer on the resolution is either reset to something much lower, or I turn on to invalid format. How exactly can I make it so these setting stick?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I would just use the setting that gives me a full screen and stays installed.

Murray