Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG icon is missing from System Tray (Notification Area)

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I'm on an Acer Aspire 5002WLMi running Windows XP, SP2 and have paid-for AVG 8.5

This all started last week when I had some problems with my Mail and let an AT&T technician delete IE cookies, history, etc. I ended up later re-installing both IE and Mozilla to get back to normal.

The AVG Icon is now gone from the System tray, perhaps due to my actions. If I open the 'Taskbar & Start Menu Properties' box, and then the 'Customize Notifications', I have no AVG listed in 'Current Items' but show three in the 'Past Items' list:
1) AVG Anti-Virus (preceded by a power plug symbol)
2) AVG Running Scans (preceded by a folder)
3) AVG Anti-Virus: Internal Virus Database (preceded by a folder)

I did change the status of #1 to 'Always Show' but that made no difference; it remained a 'Past Item'

In re-installing IE, I was told to disable AVG by right-clicking the now-gone icon. Could this be the problem, and how do I reverse it? If not, what might be the solution?

Second General Question:
I did some searching but found nothing I understood to be applicable to this problem. Aside from lots of reading at sites like this, how/where does one learn about these (hopefully) simple and basic situations?

Thanks

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
I don't have the paid version of AVG, but things should be basically similar.

Open the user interface of AVG.
Click Tools, and then Advanced Settings.
At the appearance part of the tree on the left, there are a bunch of Display System Tray options at the bottom.

Within C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\ there is avgtray.exe which displays the AVG Tray Icon when opened.

Maybe that helps?

-Jason

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks, Jason;

All but one of my tray options were already checked so that wasn't the problem. I had previously looked through all the AVG files and must have missed the tray file; at your suggestion, I did a search for avgtray.exe, then ran it, and now my problem is solved.

I now see that by right-clicking the icon, I had just suspended the notification, not the whole program. That brings up a new question: if I want to temporarily suspend the scanning while I install something I know is OK, how can I or what is the best way to do so without deleting the program.

Tom

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Glad I could help. :)

As for your new question,
Why would you want to temporarily disable your AV? Maybe, if it slows down your installation process, but it still isn't a good idea.

There may be a pause button when you open the scanner. I'm not really sure, but I'll let you know if I find anything you might be interested in.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
After I finally got some sleep, I did some reading on the AVG Online help site and found that the individual components can be deactivated by eitherdouble clicking the component to open it, or going through tools, then unchecking the appropriate instructions for that component.

Regarding why do this,
I have saved some program files so I can reinstall if needed, and their instructions suggest that av programs can interfere with that installation. I believe these stored filles occasionally get scanned when the whole computer does, so should continue to be as safe as when first run and stored, (or stored and run).