Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

skeefe

skeefe

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My computer was working fine. I walked away and when I came back my computer would not wake up. I re- started my computer and it would not do anything. The only thing that I can see that is working is the fan. I have a medion PC MT6 that runs windows xp. Is there anything that I can do or is there a way for me to get my info of the hard drive on to another computer?
Thank you
skeefe

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What fan is working?
CPU
PSU
Case Fan
GPU fan

Johnny Tootall

Johnny Tootall

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Maybe it's your video card? What happens when you turn on the monitor? If it doesn't work at all when you turn it on (no lights come on?) then it's almost definitely a physical problem.

skeefe

skeefe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It's the fan that is on the mother board that is working.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Pull the power cable out and plug it back in. Power the machine on and what happens? Do you get any beeps when it turns on? Video? Lights?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is indeed the fan on the MOBO please check to see if it is plugged directly to the MOBO or is it connected to the PSU?
If it is directly to the PSU then you have a MOBO problem. Is your video On Board or is it a Add-on card?

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 June 2009 - 06:16 PM.

skeefe

skeefe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok when I turn the computer on all I get is the light on the power button and the sound of the fan starting up nothing else.

Ok the fan is connected to the mother board and not the PSU. The video card is an add on not connected to the mother board.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have another system to test the monitor with?
Can you find another video card to test your system and the monitor?
It sounds like the system is booting but no video. We need to test the two items i just mentioned to see if one of them is the culprit.

skeefe

skeefe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I have tested the monitor and it's not the problem. I will try the video card next and let you know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thank you for the update. If the video card checks out then we are down to MOBO or CPU.

skeefe

skeefe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok I took a old video card out of one of my other computers and it is not the same but it did work. The only thing is that I can not open any files or anything. Is this because my old video card had a fan and a cable attached to the Mother board? I don't want to buy a new video card if this is not the problem.
Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the old video card is working then I'm afraid your video card may be part of the problem. Opening files is a different issue.
Will the video card you took out of problem machine work in the other system?