Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd dvd drives won't read disks

• Please log in to reply

BauerHaus

BauerHaus

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi. I have an older Gateway PC w/ Windows XP. Recently the internal CD drive began to not read cd's, so rather than go to the trouble of replacing it, I bought a USB I/O Magic external cd/dvd drive. Well...it worked one time, and now it won't read a cd or dvd either. The error message says "please insert disk into drive d (internal) e (external). I have checked the device manager, and both drives show up, and are enabled. I have disabled and re-enabled both drives. I have made sure all drivers and firmware are up to date on both drives (actually, there are no drivers available for the external drive. Not needed, according to IO Magic website support.
Does anyone have any ideas what I can try?
Thanks very much in advance.

Steve Bauer

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

If still no go, most likely, the drive is dead.

BauerHaus

BauerHaus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey Broni. Thanks for the help. I tried everything you listed, and still doing the same thing. It's really strange.....both drives will spin and light up, the drives show to have a disk in them in "My Computer", I can double click on the drive in "My Computer" and sometimes a folder will open up, but nothing will be in it. Then sometimes, it just says "Please insert a disk into drive "whatever".
The external drive is fairly new. It worked once, right after I got it, but I never had a need to use it again until just a few days ago. What's strange is...both drives are doing exactly the same thing.

Steve