Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reformat, operating system on dif HD, partitioning, keeping data

• Please log in to reply

bloads

bloads

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Right now my XP is on my maxtor HD, on C:. The same HD is also partitioned on my E:.
I have a raptor on my F:, with a few programs that i'd like to keep. It's a 140 gig with 89 free gigs (plenty for xp).
What I'd like to reformat C:, moving XP to a new partition on F:(my raptor).
I'm figuring I'll have to go thru the format procedure on C:, but will i have to format F: to create a new partition? I was wanting to save the hassle of DLing 40+ gigs of game files again on F:.

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Use third party software to resize F and create free space for XP then install XP to free space.

Or create free space on F and then clone the XP partition with third party software

I would create the free space in front of the F partition

ie

Norton Partition Magic

Create, resize, copy partitions

bloads

bloads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
so, I partition F:

install XP onto new partition on F:

at this time i should have XP on c: and f:... does it give me an option on which i want to keep, or was i supposed to have formatted c: then upon reboot/installation designate my new partition on f: as the primary XP drive?