Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network Adapters

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Not sure if I should have posted this under the "Hardware" section, but decided here because I continue to have network problems.

Looking for any cause for my IE 8 to be opening slowly, I looked in the Device Manager of both my computer and my wife's as we are connected via a wired home network. Her IE 8 opens instantly, while mine takes 45+ seconds. Below are the basics: her operating system and mine with our respective Network adapters.

Hers:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 300 GB of RAM

Used space:  52.3 GB
Free space:   91.6 GB

Network Adapter:  Intel Pro/1000 PL Network Connection

Mine:

System:  
Microsoft Windows XP 
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Intel Celeron CPU 2.20GHz
2.19 GHz, 1.50 GB of RAM

Used space:  14.9 GB
Free space:   22.3 GB

Network Adapter:  Intel Pro/1000 MT Network Connection

Question: should Mine have the same Network Adapter as Hers?

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Well, a few things.

First, are you both using the non-beta version of IE8? Your machines specs are lower then your wife's machine in pretty much every aspect. The processor and memory, but you are sitting at 1.5GB which is plenty.

When you say network problems, are you just referring to IE opening slowly or are there other network issues?

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Interesting question:

are you both using the non-beta version of IE8?

I'm using IE version 8.0.6001.18702. Hers is IE version 7. Just this morning I did a Windows Update on hers and it did not download version 8. There was some error. I'll try again and see what it is.

When you say network problems, are you just referring to IE opening slowly or are there other network issues?

Tried all last month to set up a wireless network. Worked a long time with people here at Geeks to Go and got nowhere. Everything was slower. Called the manufactuer; spent two hours with them and concluded the wireless router was defective. They sent me a new one but I'm not prepared to try that again just yet.

Thanks for the fast reply. Will try and download IE 8 on Hers again and report back.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try downgrading to 7 on yours. You should be able to remove it via add/remove programs. IE8 is fresh out of the box so it still has some bugs to be worked out. For right now, I would try to try a different browser in the meantime.

EDIT: A quick google search shows that version 8.0.6001.18702 is in fact IE8 final.

Edited by Cilix, 03 June 2009 - 10:25 AM.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I found that I can download version 8 on Hers.

I do use Firefox, but it's even slower than IE 8.

Should I downgrade to 7 on Mine or uprade to 8 on Hers?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Downgrade to 7 on yours.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Have downgraded to 7. It's much faster, down to 8 seconds for IE to load. And 13 seconds for Firefox. Not perfect, but lots better. Hers: IE 7 loads instantly. Her Firefox is 8 seconds.

Thank you for this.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Anytime :)