Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blank Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

gku

gku

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm trying to help my mother install a wireless card in her computer as part of moving the computer to a different area of the house, one that doesn't have wired access. I was able to install a similar adapter on my father's computer without issues. I've already gone through the malware forum, and they confirm it is not a malware issue:

http://www.geekstogo...er-t239452.html

I have also, as that thread mentions, tried all the remedies I've found on the web, to no avail. Any assistance you could offer would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Geoff

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have you installed Service Pack 3?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You need to change permission settings in the registry.
Open Registry Editor.
Go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum.
Add full permissions to Everyone. Click on Advanced button. Put a tick in both options at the bottom (Inherit from parent the permission entries... and Replace permission entries on all child or objects...). Exit and reboot

gku

gku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

You need to change permission settings in the registry.
Open Registry Editor.
Go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum.
Add full permissions to Everyone. Click on Advanced button. Put a tick in both options at the bottom (Inherit from parent the permission entries... and Replace permission entries on all child or objects...). Exit and reboot

As indicated in the thread I linked, I tried that several times with no success (before and after going to the Malware forum for assistance).

Checking on the SP 3, though, thanks.

Geoff

Edited by gku, 03 June 2009 - 02:28 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Sometimes after applying SP3 the device manager will be blank. There is a hotfix for it though.

gku

gku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
That's a yes on SP3. To reiterate, I have tried the Enum fix, though there are a number of other users, I set them ALL to full access with inherit from parent. I also tried a number of other things I found suggested around the web, all posted and linked in the thread I linked. Should I repost them here?

[Edit] Saw Clix's post, trying, thanks, will post back.

Thank

gku

gku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks Clix, that ended a weeklong ordeal. Here's the link for any others having this issue - it was just posted on Microsoft today:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979

Thanks!
Geoff

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Glad to be of assistance