Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Rub mouse pad to use laptop

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
You read it right.

Push power button...nothing happens...rub mouse pad...Bios comes up..rub mouse pad windows starts to load. If I stop rubbing, windows load screen will stop moving. This is how EVERYTHING works on the PC. Want to go on the internet? click I.E. then start rubbing.

This is the mouse pad at bottom of laptop that I'm talking about. An external usb mouse has no effect.
Any ideas.

Windows XP HP laptop

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This is a weird problem.
Try resetting your BIOS to the factory defaults or fail-safe settings.

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks for the advice...reset to defaults and no luck.

Changed out memory - no luck

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
That is rather odd. If your comfortable doing so, I would remove the top bezel with the trackpad and blow it out. It seems you have some weird electrical problem going on inside that machine and cleaning it up a bit may help.

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I had it apart when I first got my hands on it. It is clean, contacts look clean.

Occasionally the laptop will work normally for short bursts. I would say for 3-5 min once a day.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you the original owner?

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yes, this is my wifes

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Ok. The only real educated guess I can come up with is that either the wiring coming from the trackpad to the board has a short somewhere or the actual board itself is shorting out and sending out a sort of electric discharge to the trackpad, hence the reason why the rubbing aka static electricity kicks it back into gear so to speak.

If you want, try to boot the machine with the trackpad disconnected from the rest of the laptop and see if you can power it on.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That is an intelligent possibility Cilix.