Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card problem

• Please log in to reply

Clickofdeath

Clickofdeath

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
First of all, i have a dell inspiron 530. Using a GeForce 8300 gs graphics card and have vista 32 bit operating system.

I have been having problems with my graphics card lately. I just recently was having issues with it. I would be playing a game and everything would run great untill randomly one day, random colored squares appeared on my screen and flashed my monitor off then back on. When it flashed back on it was fine for a bit then it did it again. The next time i turned on my computer, i cheked my driver settings and it said it has stopped working, error code 43. I called geek squad, which is where my warranty is at, and took my computer in. They took the computer for 3 weeks, replaced the graphics card, and ran diagnostics. When i got it back, which was the other day, i turned on a video game. It ran fine for about five minutes then the screen turned itself off and went into power save mode. I could not turn it back on unless i restarted teh computer. After doing so i checked the driver settings again and the error code 43 was back. Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this. I have tried taking the card out, cleaning it and have followed steps that have been posted on this site for similar graphics card forums, but nothing seems to be working. Pls help.

btw sorry for the length of the post

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Clickofdeath

Clickofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for helping!

There is a explanation point in a yellow yield sign thing next to my display adapters. For my Nvidia geforce 8300 gs

The problem started occuring about 5/13/2009 and that is near when one of the crashes occured.

Though i'm not sure that it is a crash that has caused problems with my computer, Here is my WhoCrashed information:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 5/12/2009 5:09:12 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0x7627A2DC, 0x8, 0x7627A2DC, 0x8)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Tue 1/13/2009 8:20:39 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: csrss.exe
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0x8665B1D8, 0x8665B324, 0x8207C430)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe
description: Client Server Runtime Process
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Wed 9/3/2008 6:25:45 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x10E (0x2, 0x1, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel

On Sat 3/22/2008 1:43:16 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x10E (0x2, 0x1, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
according to your whocrashed report the problem is pointing to the driver for the video card. Since you say at the very start the card is having problems I would suggest a replacement.

Clickofdeath

Clickofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
okay.. so i downloaded a new graphics driver. When i did and restarted my computer, my desktop was back to normal and everything appeared just fine. Once i started playing a game though, the screen once again had some kind of weird squares show up and then the screen shut off. Then it came back on and shut off again. I had to restart the computer because the screen went into power save mode. When my computer came back on, the desktop icons and background still appeared fine. So it seems that everything is working untill i load up a game. But the whole reason i bought the computer was to play games, so this is a problem. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Clickofdeath

Clickofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
could this be a result of a bad motherboard? or something else? i am just confused about why everything works and looks fine untill i load up a game(like world of warcraft) then the screen flickers and shuts off

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect the problem is actually as you stated at the beginning. The video card under normal everyday use is working fine. When you put a graphics intensive game like WOW through it then the card is failing. Has the card performed before while playing WOW without any problems? According to your WhoCrashed report I can see that clear back in March of 2008 there was problem with the Video Memory Management and then May 12, 2009 you had a problem with the driver for the card.
When did the issue start happening?
How old is the card?

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 June 2009 - 12:34 AM.

Clickofdeath

Clickofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
okay. yes, i have been playing wow on this computer since i bought it feb 2008. It has been working absolutely fine with the card it came with up until very recently. The issue started occuring around may 13 2009. The card in it now should be brand new since i took it to best buy to get looked at and they replaced it...

here is the info you wanted:

GPU: 65C
Temp1: 32C
Temp2: 39C
Temp3: -11C
Core 0: 35C
Core 1: 35C

all the speeds are at 100%

Vcore1: 1.15V --- -12V: -16.72V
Vcore2: 2.96V --- -5V: -8.48V
+3.3V: 3.33V --- +5V: 5.03V
+5V: 4.95V --- Vbat: 3.06V
+12V: 11.71V ---

i added in the lines (---) between these numbers to seprate them

is there any certain driver u think i should try? the current one is working just not in game. Also when my computer goes into sleep mode, the desktop icons dissapear.

oh and btw.. i just felt my video card... the silver fan siding is very hot and the card is pretty warm as well..

Edited by Clickofdeath, 06 June 2009 - 11:38 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Here and get this driver.
It is dated May 6th 2009
This seems to be the newest driver directly from Nvidia.
I'm not sure if this is the same driver you have but if not then this would be the newest. As far as the video card feeling warm, most will with the newer ones out now. If this does not fix the problem I would be inclined to say that the card itself is the problem. Make sure to save the driver file to your desktop for easy reference in case we need to try a different way to install it. Please let me know how it works after installing the new driver.

Clickofdeath

Clickofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
okay... so i'm on a different computer now.. I downloaded that driver. And just like last time the desktop and the internet sites worked and looked fine. When i tried to start playing a game, it worked for about 2 min and then just went crazy. The screen flashed and i got a blue screen that said, the computer is shutting down to prevent damage or something. So when i turned it back on, the only way it would run is in safe mode. When i tried to run in regular mode it just did the blue screen thing again and restarted. I don't know why the problem would be the graphics card, just because i JUST had it replaced like a week ago. They changed it and ran diagnostics on it and said it would work again. So i'm guessing the problem is more than just the card. Anyways i guess i'm going to take the computer back to best buy and have geek squad work on it again since it's still under warranty. Hopefully this time they will actually fix it.

If you can think of any other problems that could be causing this please let me know so maybe i can give them a clue on what it is. Thx for your help!