Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Question

• Please log in to reply

TechSix

TechSix

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello again guys,
I have 3GB of DDR2 RAM thats 2x 1GB and 2x 512MB.
I was wondering if it would be better to remove the 2x 512mb since they are running at 266mhz cause of my bios. I was able to get my 2x 1GB to run at 400mhz. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The difference in performance between 533Mhz and 800Mhz memory is noticeable if you benchmark the computer. In the real world it makes no noticeable difference.
That memory will only run at DDR2-800 if the processor supports it, if the board supports it and if the memory is DDR2-800 in the first place. If these factors are not all true the memory will run at an optimum speed.
All memory runs at the slowest link going, so while you can put 800 memory in alongside 533 memory, it will only run at 533.

TechSix

TechSix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for your help. :)