Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems connecting to the internet with Wireless router

• Please log in to reply

FaeryBryn

FaeryBryn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A friend of mine hooked up a Belkin wireless router so I could connect various computers to the internet, two wired and at least two wireless. He created the password, but then couldn't remember what it was, so I used the reset button on the router itself. I went to the IP address to reset the password, but took a helluva time getting it to where the password would work for the wireless connection. Now the connection says "Local Only" when I check the Network and Sharing Center. I have a cable modem from Time Warner Cable, so I can plug into that to get online for now, but I would really appreciate finding a way to fix my wireless problem. I'm running Vista on all of my computers as well. Thanks!

Edited by FaeryBryn, 03 June 2009 - 03:03 PM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Unplug the modem and router. Power on modem, wait for it to finish booting, then power on your router.

Now i want you to try and ping the router. Belkin's default is 192.168.2.1 I believe. To do this, open your start menu -> run -> CMD then press enter. Type ping 192.168.2.1 and press enter. If you get response and no timeouts, try again to access the router via your browser.

FaeryBryn

FaeryBryn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, it took a second, but worked perfectly. Thank you!!!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Another satisfied customer :)

FaeryBryn

FaeryBryn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:)