Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply

rynem

rynem

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've just upgraded to Vista on my desktop which only has 512 RAM and is really slow at the moment. I've read that adding ram would speed it up because Vista's minimum requirements is at least 1GB. So I was wondering if I added another 512 MB stick of ram into my computer, would it fix this issue? And is it possible? I'm pretty sure it is, but just making sure. Here are the specifications of my computer:

Memory installed: 512 MB (1X512)
Max Allowed: 2GB(2X1GB)
Speed Supported: PC3200MB/SEC
Type: 184 PIN, DDR, SDRAM
DIMM Slots: two
Open DIMM: one

Here's the 512 ram I'm planning to purchase: Ram

Edited by rynem, 03 June 2009 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hmm, would love to give my imput.. but link does not work :)

Maybe give the link another try? :)

-Jason

Edited by OpenOutcome, 03 June 2009 - 03:54 PM.

rynem

rynem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hmm, would to give my imput.. but link does not work :)

Maybe give the link another try? :)

-Jason

Lol my bad, its fixed now :).

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Will definitely speed you up, as you are correct that running vista with only 512 ram will be slow.. I add ram sticks whenever I get extra money :)

Ever shopped at Newegg? This is basically the same stick for about 5 bucks cheaper. Don't know exactly shipping costs, but it's worth a look.

Otherwise, looks like a nice choice. :)

Edited by OpenOutcome, 03 June 2009 - 04:03 PM.

rynem

rynem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Will definitely speed you up, as you are correct that running vista with only 512 ram will be slow.. I add ram sticks whenever I get extra money :)

Ever shopped at Newegg? This is basically the same stick for about 5 bucks cheaper. Don't know exactly shipping costs, but it's worth a look.

Otherwise, looks like a nice choice. :)

Lmfao, Thanks so much. Naw I never shopped there, but I'm planning to in the future. Although I don't have the patients right now to buy ram there aha, going to go in a few minutes and buy that one. Again, thank you.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Haha, No problem. Hope all works out well. :)

Edited by OpenOutcome, 03 June 2009 - 04:14 PM.

rynem

rynem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Haha, No problem. Hope all works out well. :)

Lmfao, well buying it worked well, although taking it to cbit didn't. When I was lifting it, the cooler for the motherboard fell out of its place for some reason. At the time I didn't know till I took it to CBIT and it cost $50 bucks to fix it and a $35 for the dust cleaning. Tomorrow I plan on taking it to bestbuy so they can repair it if my warranty is still active. Was pretty pissed.. lol

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Wow.. that pretty much sucks. Lol. When I was replacing the heatsink on my Xbox360 once, I broke off one of the little square brown things on the bottom. I couldn't solder it back on, and I ended up buying a new 360 when my console had system error the next day. :)

Other than that I've tried to be careful with electrics. Ahh.. stuff happens. :)

rynem

rynem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Wow.. that pretty much sucks. Lol. When I was replacing the heatsink on my Xbox360 once, I broke off one of the little square brown things on the bottom. I couldn't solder it back on, and I ended up buying a new 360 when my console had system error the next day. :)

Other than that I've tried to be careful with electrics. Ahh.. stuff happens. :)

lol, i got a 3 year PSP plan on my 360 just incase it rrod's. I got my computer back and its working way faster ever since i added 512 more. I'll be looking forward to upgrade some more in the future.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Congratulations! Aren't fast computers nice to have :)

rynem

rynem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Congratulations! Aren't fast computers nice to have :)

thankyou.