Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something Odd On My Desktop

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

This thread doesn't seem to fit in any of the forums so as I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP3 I decided to start out here.

If a Moderator feels that it is best in another forum, please, feel free to move it.

I'm using an old HP pavilion 512n, and just by its antique nature that thing is already slow, however, over the past week or so it has become so slow that it can take over five minutes just to load an IE8 browser.

SpyBot S&D says that there are no problems, and COMODO PRO says that there are no viruses.

So why is it running so slow? That's part of why I'm here. Take a look at the attached screenshot. See that Message Center thingy in the center of my desktop? Well that little sucker started showing up at about the same time that this machine dropped into super slow gear.

:) Is that thing conected to anything evil? Like Spyware? Is there a chance that something got past my firewall, also COMODO PRO,and stuck a bunch of crapwear in my system so that they could sell me something to clean it out with?

If anyone can tell me anything about that Message Center thingy I'd be grateful.If it is crapware, I'll hit the HJT forum next.

Thanks for any insight into that little sucker.

[Last Minute Edit]OK, It's now official...the G2G attachment portal thingy hates me! It keeps telling me that my 62.5KB .JPG pic exceeds the 2MB upload limit...So here's a direct link to my screen shot, floating around somewhere in cyber space.
http://www.froggypic...35c038f97ff.JPG

Wendy

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Well, PC Booster by inklineglobal.com is obviously a scam: http://www.mywot.com...klineglobal.com, so....

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni, Thanks for the quick reply.

I kind of thought that it was something evil :) because as far as I know I don't have a message center.

As that thing had just started appearing, almost like a pop up, do you have any idea how it might have found its way into this machine?

I'm off to do the 'start here' thing and see it that helps. If not I'll post a HJT log.

Thanks for your time and help.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Wendy
Malwares have so many ways to sneak in, that I don't even want to guess how it got into your machine.
One comment, I saw, it could be drive-by-install coming with TV4PC, if you ever installed this.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni, Thanks for the reply,

As this is a used machine that was part of a home office setup I have no earthly clue as to what's lurking about in its innards, however, I'll run a search for that thing and see if it pops up.

I just finished downloading and installing everything that I needed to get started cleaning this rascal. I'll post back later.

Thanks for your time and help Boo.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You realize, you have to post everything at malware forum, not here?

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni, Thanks for the reply.

Oh yeah, I'm a bit dingy at times but I'm not blond. I just ment thet I would update you as to what happened.

So far I've found that something :) kinda evil :) must be at play. SpyBot S & D loads up, after maybe 5 minutes and when I try to update it I get an error message saying that didn't initialize properly. Clicking OK just shuts it down.

And Malwarebytes won't load up either. I get an error message saying: Error loading database Line # 28957.(1) and Line 28957.(0)

BUT, both of those things work right in Safe Mode.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I'm a bit dingy at times but I'm not blond

By any means, I didn't want to sound offending. I apologize, if you felt that way.
The symptoms, you're talking about are definitely signs of an infection, and I'm sure, malware guys will take care of it.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni, Thanks for the quick reply.

Hey I was just making a joke about the dingy blond thing there Boo, and you haven't offended me in anyway at all.

I'm posting an OTL as we speak and just ran by to snag the URL for this thread to include it in my new thread.

I want to thank you again for your time and help too Boo.

Wendy.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
Post back with positive outcome :)